Dear Chinese Seamstress who made my Mary Janes way back in the early 90s,

I am impressed. Not only were they completely lined, they were double stitched and even triple stitched at one point, which made it a bit difficult to take one apart. But I persevered, and succeeded eventually, and discovered your secret to comfy shoes. Raw cotton! I had wondered what the stuffing was.

You handstitched about eight layers of multicolored cloth together, and then covered the whole sole with muslin, as if the multicolored cloth just wouldn't be good enough. The cotton padding is a bit worse for wear, but really, I couldn't have asked for a better pair of shoes. Thank goodness one pair still has some life left in them.

Thanks again, and I'm sorry you're not still making them,

me

Comments

Popular Posts