Trimming is done, and I'm going to till in a minute here, once I change my shoes. Mom (the gardening Voice of Wisdom) says I can plant green beans but not lima beans (I thought perhaps if I planted lima beans now, they'd be ready sooner, but they are a warm weather crop), and that I should even go get two tomato plants to stick wherever I'm putting the tomatoes just so I can say I have early tomatoes. :)

So I see a trip to the plant store in my near future.

She also said I could plant more potatoes... we'll see if I can get some.

(an aside: Ethan's frogs are barking (Seriously; they sound like little Yorkie dogs) and Mabel is barking at them. I think she thinks I have other dogs in the house somewhere.)

Here is what I have to plant out (at the moment):

--Beets
--Carrots (more; I've already planted some)
--Peas
--Green Beans (four varieties, and then three varieties from last year. One pole, one half runner)
--Tomatoes (I need to buy some)
--Broccoli (either direct sown or I buy a couple plants too)
--Potatoes (I would need to buy more)
--Onions (the rest of the onion sets Mom bought.)
--More lettuce; I have three more varieties
--Kale? Swiss Chard? One of these is for the fall; I can't remember offhand which one. Maybe both.
--

Here is what I have to leave room for:

--Squash (I think six or seven varieties; I'm going to plant them in the back as well. This includes: Early Summer Crookneck, Regular Zucchini, Spaghetti Squash, Delicata, Eight Ball Zucchini, and more.)
--Tomatoes (the rest of them, probably 16-20 total.)
--Quinoa
--Peppers (I'm going to aim for 8 plants this year, which is double what I had last year)
--Sweet Potatoes
--Lima Beans

I'm also going to create my kitchen garden this year--around the cistern in the back. I've also decided to eliminate the grass on the small hillside beside Ethan's garden; I can plant bush squash back there, or even some vines, since I scored a bunch of wooden trellis last night--twelve 8-foot sections for $1 each. (Most of it will replace the nasty plastic trellis on the front porch. But I don't think we'll use it all.)

Comments

Unknown said…
Your garden plans sound like lots of fun. I was looking at the weather forecast today and wondering whether I dared plant green beans a little early--I'm glad to hear someone who knows saying the same thing. :)

I bought a packet of Swiss chard seeds and it said to plant them a couple of weeks before the last frost, for what that's worth. I planted them and broccoli yesterday.
Jennifer said…
Mom knows all. Well, mostly. :)

I didn't get the green beans planted, but I did get some broccoli and tomatoes planted (that I bought) and I sowed some radish seeds and sowed the peas too.

Ok, then it's the Kale maybe. I know one of them is better for fall. Thanks!

Popular Posts