Argh! From tornadoes to... robbers! Or robber; we're not sure, but...

Went to bed early last night, due to pretty much sleepless night Wednesday night. I must have been more tired than I thought, but I didn't sleep all that well. Woke up in the middle of the night wanting something to drink (too much greasy food will do that to you, and garlic bread; I should just stop eating garlic) but I ended up not going downstairs because it was so warm in bed. That was around 3am.

So, at 6:15am, I get up (on time!) and grab my robe. I checked my email, then walked downstairs to eat breakfast and fix my lunch. I thought it was awfully cold downstairs; did we leave a window open? And when I glanced at the cable box to see what time it said, my mind went, huh? For a few seconds I just stood there and stared at the empty spots where the VCR and DVD player had been before. My mind didn't connect, I guess, because nothing else was gone. All the plugs were there, all the cables neatly hanging... but the VCR and the DVD player were gone.

And then I felt the breeze. I turned around, and saw that the back window was wide open, literally. The screen had been cut, the curtain pushed aside. I took a step forward. Saw a stream of light coming into the kitchen, and realized the door was wide open.

Yelled up to Chris, "I think..." no, to hell with thinking. I know. "We've been robbed!"

Noticed that my bag had been gone through. Didn't notice Chris' wallet was gone until later. Thought to myself, "Damn. SOMEONE WAS IN MY HOUSE!!!!!"

Spent the morning calling credit card companies, insurance companies, maintenance, and the police, not necessarily in that order. Waited around for the police to show up. Got a new card from the bank, after cancelling the one that was taken. etc., etc., etc., etc.

We have renter's insurance. That will cover the replacement of the VCR and the DVD player, but still. Someone snuck into our house while we were asleep upstairs and I didn't hear them walking around down there. Me, who wakes up at every little sound. Me, who used to have escape-artist chinchillas, not to mention hamsters and snakes. I must be losing my touch. Actually, I know what the problem is; I tend to sleep with my head under a pillow to block out the sounds so I can get to sleep. *g*

But SOMEONE WAS IN MY HOUSE! Without my permission. Looking at my stuff. Pawing through my bag in search of my wallet. That same someone could have easily put Grand Theft Auto on their record, because both trucks were sitting in the parking lot and the keys were in plain sight. Or murder, even, if one of us had heard something suspicious (it would have been me, like as not, since Chris can sleep through anything) and gone to investigate. I mean, we have enough swords in the house to outfit an army, but they're all downstairs. *g* That wouldn't have done me much good at all.

But I know I'm a writer, because while we're standing there talking to the police officer, I'm thinking, "Hey, I can use this!"

And when I realized my Visor was safe and sound upstairs in my bedroom, I thought, "Thank god. They didn't get my book."

Thinking I'll sleep with my bayonet tonight anyway, just in case.

Comments

Popular Posts