Musings...

The only truly irreplacable things I own are my childhood memories and my stories. Everything else... everything else was found once and could very well be found again. Although after finding it once, would I really begin the search to find it again? Would that thrill of discovery hit me the same way twice?

I'm going to have to say probably not. I sold all of my Bordertown books, because, honestly? I hadn't read them in a while and I wanted to pass the magic along to someone else who needed to find them as I did, so long ago. I've sold quite a few of the books I bought at booksales or thrift stores, most of the vintage clothing I picked up for a song, and quite a few other things that were just lying around my house, gathering a fair amount of dust.

I've always thought it would be cool to sell everything I owned and start anew. Without baggage. Without clutter. Just me, my desk, and a computer, empty and new.

I think I've lived with stuff for too long. Clutter is comfortable to me. I once dreamed of opening a secondhand shop like The Merry Dancers in Charles DeLint's book Moonheart (I think it was that one at least...) I like finding neat things and owning pretties. I've never been much of the magpie persuation, but I definitely like shiny objects. *g* But...

There is a limit. I have more not-so-shiny objects than shiny ones. Things I have for no reason other than the fact they were cheap, or free. Things I picked up from God knows where, for those same reasons.

And that's the real reason I've not really minded having to sell my things. Oh, every once in a while I'll snap and fury will take over for a while at my stupidity when I was younger, but I can't change the past now. I can't change what happened. I can only change what will be.

I've been doing great on the writing side of things, but the clutter is still there. It preys on my mind every day and every night. I trip over it when I walk out of the office, or down the basement, or in the bedroom. And although I've been slow to realize this, I work a lot better in an uncluttered environment. Where everything has its place. Where I still have cool containers to hold my pens, but at least I know where they are.



So. I've obtained my second wind, I guess. And I'm going to get rid of the clutter, starting now. It will take me as long as it takes me; I'm not going to put a deadline on it since I know that doesn't usually work. But I don't want to have to move all of this stuff. I really don't.

Please peruse my auctions for goodies in the weeks to come. I'm going to post twenty auctions tonight and twenty auctions tomorrow night, and then not post any until after I get back from Florida. But after Florida... We will see.

Anyway. Organization is my goal. And I've dawdled enough.

More later, if time permits...

Comments

Popular Posts