Writing Related:

Gee, I was only kidding when I said 4k a day for a 25 day novel, but I've been doing right around 4200 words a day. Heart's Desire is on Day 7 and going strong. I'll hit 30k tonight without any trouble at all.

I've been having intermittent fears about pacing. I think this is because the storyline is both the same and different; Michael's still in the bookstore and Sarah will help him escape; the Council's still after him and Althea's still the villain (Yes, it's obvious. I haven't really given anything away.) But this version seems to be pacing itself just fine. I should heed Vicki's advice and stop worrying about it.

But I will say now that I think this is the best novel I've ever written. I thought that last April when I finished the 63k draft, but I wasn't happy with it. Now, I'm getting really happy with it. Really really.

If I make it to 100k, my goal, this will be my second-longest novel. Second Coming originally clocked in at 114k and some change. But Second Coming was different in that there were three distinct parts; three distinct books: Faith, Hope, and Redemption. If FictionWorks every gets around to publishing it, you'll be able to see what I mean. I don't mind writing novels that way, of course, but I prefer to have one story arc per book and not three distinct ones. Oh, they fit together quite nicely, but I still prefer the other way.

I reread Always Something today (It's the sequel to Absolutely Nothing if you remember) and discovered that it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It has a solid plot growing in the midst of sequelitis, so I'll definitely have to pick it up later on. I still have to rewrite AbNo again anyway, to make it a publishable length. While a hair under 70k (I think) isn't bad, it's not quite long enough. And there's room for improvement.

Hopefully, I'll be able to finish Heart's Desire (hereto after known as HD, not to be mistaken for Bryn's HD, which is another story entirely) before I go to Florida. Then I will print it out, and have that as my editing book for the trip. I will have the file on the Visor, too, of course, but I will admit I kind of hope someone in my family will want to read it (HINT, HINT!!) while we're there.

I do still have to finish The Ninth Guest before Florida as well, but that shouldn't really be a huge problem. It should go fast, once I get into it.

So, anyway, reminder to myself:

List of WIPs for Florida:

Heart's Desire (edit, hopefully, print out)
The Ninth Guest (Jacob Lane, edit hopefully, but don't print out)
The Eighth Room (next Jacob Lane book)
Absolutely Nothing, Always Something, and the Prologue (edit/rewrite/expand)
Blood and Summer (sequel to Second Coming, possible novella)

I think that should be enough. Now, I might end up writing the sequel to HD next anyway, because I'd like to sell them both at once, so I might end up adding one or two books into that mix. But the only one I really want to get done in Florida is The Eighth Room.

This, of course, doesn't count the various stories and novel or two (or three, if she gets it done in time) that I'm taking with me to critique. I only want to bring two or three paperbacks, you see, and I have a feeling that I'm going to need the reading material, since we're not planning to go anywhere special.

This is just fine with me, btw. Just fine.

I think I'd better stop now before Blogger loses this post...

Comments

Popular Posts