Finally! From Jami...



>1. You wake up one morning and find that you feel sick, sicker than you
>have for a long time - your head hurts, light makes it worse, sound makes
>you want to hurl, the feel of anything on your skin is like being caressed
>by concrete. You make an appointment with your doctor, who confirms that
>you are sick - but isn't sure what exactly it is. He writes a referral to
>another professional whom he whole-heartedly endorses, but never really
>says what her specialty is... You drive off to the address he gives you,
>which turns out to be a non-descript building in a rather dingy part of
>town that you've never been in before. If you didn't feel so horrible,
>you would never consider leaving your car in this kind of neighborhood,
>but you've just felt worse and worse as the day went on. You hurry
>inside, hoping that the receptionist will move you through quickly, but
>you find that there isn't a receptionist, there isn't a waiting room,
>there isn't even an exam room - just a square room, no windows, one door,
>a table and two chairs. One of the chairs is occupied by a woman who
>looks remarkably like the Oracle in the Matrix movies. "Have a seat,
>dear," she tells you. You take the offered seat, not wanting to hurt her
>feelings and curious as to what all this is about. She explains that she
>knows your regular doctor sent you over to see her, and she even knows
>what your problem is. "It comes down to this," she tells you. "Your
>writing is taking over the part of your brain that controls your
>senses. You have to give up your writing forever, or give up your sense
>of sight. If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll have to give up
>another sense as well. That will definitely solve your issue. Just say
>the word, and I'll mix up the right compound to solve your problem
>forever." What would you choose to give up, your writing or your sight
>(although, I already know the answer to that one!). If needed, what other
>sense would you sacrifice, and why? What would you do to continue your
>writing without being able to see?
>

I think I could live without sight. I've actually thought about it before. If I had a choice which senses to lose, I'd pick hearing and sight, in that order.

I don't think I could give up writing "for my health." There are too many stories out there that need to be told. I guess I'm a storyteller at heart.

Good question! :)



>2. If you could go back ten years and have a heart-to-heart chat with
>your younger self, what would you say? Do you think that your younger
>self would listen?
>

If I could go back ten years... Okay. I would be 20. Let's see. Working at the library, not really happy with my life, but not able to find direction, either.

I had a dream like this once. I dreamed that my future self appeared to my present self in my bathroom mirror, and told me not to worry, that I would get published; that things would work out.

I would probably tell my younger self to keep her chin up and don't give up. I would tell her that she's stronger than she thinks, and that she's smarter than she thinks too.


>3. A new arts and crafts fair is coming to town, and you're invited by
>the director to reserve a vendor table - she's seen your teddy bears and
>knitting at other craft fairs and loves your work. She even knocks half
>the price off the charge for renting the table as extra incentive. You
>decide to take her up on her offer, and pack as much as you have to sell
>onto the table. Everything sells very quickly - by the time the fair is
>half over, you only have a few teddy bears left and not many more scarves
>and hats. With fifteen minutes remaining in the day, just one lone teddy
>bear is left sitting on your table. An old woman shuffles up to look at
>the teddy bear - you recognize her, she's been by the table a few times
>already today, but hasn't bought anything from you (or anyone else that
>you can see). "I have an offer for you for this teddy bear," she
>says. You're a little confused, since the price is right on the tag
>hanging from the bear's neck, but before you can say anything, she
>continues. "My great-great-grandaughter turns three tomorrow, and I know
>she would just love this teddy bear for a birthday present. I don't have
>any money to buy anything for her - but I have something else for
>trade." She pulls a little ball of matted yarn from her pocket. "This
>yarn will turn into any color you want it to be, any length you need it to
>be, any texture you want it to be. All you need to do is tell it what to
>become, 'purple-chenille-ten feet', for instance." You watch the yarn
>closely, but it doesn't look any different than the knotted dingy grey
>ball that she pulled out. "It only works when you're alone - it's a
>little shy. And it doesn't like scissors, so if you cut it, it loses it's
>powers. Will you accept it in trade for the teddy bear?" Do you believe
>her story about the yarn? Do you accept it in trade? What would you ask
>the yarn to become? What would you make with it if it DID turn into what
>you told it to?
>

I would accept the yarn, even if it wasn't real. Mostly because that's a good story, and I'm a sucker for good stories. And I can always make more teddy bears. :)

Let's see. What would I ask the yarn to become? Hmm. Probably 100% angora yarn in a blue to match my hat, because I can't get that yarn anymore. And at least enough to knit me up a sweater. Or chunky cashmere yarn (which as far as I can tell doesn't exist.)

>4. If you could be any kind of animal, what would you pick and why?
>

A book dragon. Why? Because I loved that book, and I really liked the idea behind it.

Failing that, a phoenix.


>5. In a surprise ending to the November '04 election, you have been
>elected to be the next President of the United States. Congress quickly
>passes an amendment to allow you to take office despite being younger than
>the minimum age to hold the office. What would your first actions in
>office be?
>

Oooooh. Hard question. Hmm. Hmm.

I would legalize the growing and production of hemp in the United States. Because there's just so much you can make out of hemp that is good for the environment.

Failing that, I'd pass a bill that says anyone of legal age can marry anyone they want without discrimination of sex, religion, etc., etc.


>RULES:
>1 - Leave a comment, saying you want to be interviewed.
>2 - I will respond; I'll ask you five questions.
>3 - You'll update your journal with my five questions, and your five answers.
>4 - You'll include this explanation.
>5 - You'll ask other people five questions when they want to be interviewed.

Comments

Popular Posts