I got a story idea, sort of an alternate Beth-Hill story while at lunch today:

What if the Hunt was never bound?

(This question actually came up in TSoR. Malachi seems to think that the Hunt would still be terrorizing Beth-Hill. I'm not so sure. Even though Council members as well as Hounds died during the binding, if someone screwed that up... (Stefan comes to mind) it could have been disastrous.)

We don't see the far-reaching results of decisions until it's too late to go back. Good decisions, of course, are different; you look back and wonder how you could have been so afraid to proceed. (Me getting divorced and moving back home, for example.)

But bad decisions (getting married in the first place) aren't as easy to spot. (Although I had my concerns, and should have acted on those concerns, I didn't.) But what if I had?

It's neat to be able to take a decision or an action (the binding of the Hunt in the first place) and rewrite 'history' to see what might have happened if the Hunt had not been bound.

I know one thing, though... if the binding of the Hunt had failed, more than five Council members would have died that night. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Gabriel would have killed everyone there--and Hunted the ones who fled.

Obviously, though, someone escaped, or else no one would be alive to tell the story. The someone who escaped was probably Peter, who narrates my short story Binding the Hunt.

In desperation, he probably attempts a spell that he doesn't really understand, and manages to summon someone from this world (but who?) to help. Only, he doesn't quite get who he intended to summon... :)

ARGH! I don't need another story! (Heck, this one's probably a novel, dammit.)

Can you imagine this-world Gabriel meeting that-world Gabriel? Whoa!!

Comments

Popular Posts