Auctions are exhausting, especially if you end up getting there at 7:30am and leaving at 5:30pm. Whoa. This was a big auction. Lively, too. And surprisingly, not rained out. I'm writing my review tomorrow, and it should be a good one. There were some very nice pieces there.

Let's see. What did I end up with? Well, after spending most of the morning buying absolutely nothing (due to the high prices), I did manage to come away with an adjustable dressmaker's form for $75. Which is about half-price of new, and about what they go for on ebay, not counting shipping. So I'm very happy about that, because I've wanted one for a while now. And it's the right size and everything!

I got a brass oil kettle that looks like a teapot, two chairs (one cane-bottomed, one oak, I think--not sure of the style, but it's a bentback? I think that's what it's called...), a folding sewing table (I've always wanted one of those too) and two pictures. One's a print, nothing much, but it has a nice caved Art Deco frame. The other one is a trio of three photographs that I've been able to date from between 1915-1922, of a "Florence" from the Chicago Grand Opera Company. I've not been able to find anything else about her online. So far. In the first two, she's dressed in costume for Aphrodite, and in the other one, she's dressed in costume for something that looks like "Lakure" or "Lakune." I also got a plant stand (had to buy it with one of the chairs.) Is that all? It seems like there was something else, but I can't think of what. Hmm. Nope, I just checked, and that was it.

Dad got a clock, four matching chairs (cheap!), a different plant stand, a yarn winder, and a couple of other things that escape me at the moment.

Obviously, I got nothing written today. After we got home, I had to eat something quickly and take some asprin, because my head was killing me. I took a nap, too, which helped, but I still feel sticky. ;) All my stuff's still in my car, awaiting Storage.

I think I'm going to make a list of all the stuff, especially furniture, that I have in Storage, because I'm fairly certain I don't have much else to buy. Which is a good thing. Well, in a way it's a good thing. Running out of room isn't good if I find more bargains I can't resist. I'm going to have to implement the "add one, remove one" policy if this keeps up.

And it really depends on the price of the house I'm looking at as to when I'll actually move. There's a nice little fixer-upper in Felicity for $39,900 (believe it or not) at the moment that would do just fine... however I haven't looked at it or anything, so who knows. It could be falling apart. At the moment, though, I know my limit's going to be around $90,000. Which is still doable around here, thank goodness. In fact, last year, a nice brick house ten minutes away sold for $59,900, and I would have been happy with that. So anyway.

I think I'm going to bed before I write a book here. Goodnight.

Comments

Popular Posts