Ethan and I were playing outside this evening when I turned around and saw a strange dog round the corner. It was a small dog, kind of scruffy, with medium length brown and white fur. Kind of looked like a sheltie mix.

Luckily, it was very friendly. It went on its way after a bit of tail wagging and smiling, and I told it to be careful. No tags, but a newer collar.

This makes stray dog #8, I think, of the ones we've seen around. There are a couple we see quite often (a bloodhound and what looks like a pointer, both without collars at all) but most of them hopefully have just slipped their chains or fences or whatever and are

There's a leash law in Georgetown. Dogs aren't supposed to run around loose. Obviously, it's not a law anyone reinforces, but I really don't like the idea of strange dogs appearing in my backyard, especially when I'm in the backyard.

The stray cat problem is worse, however. There are feral cats all over the place, and I believe the only reason why I don't have kittens in the shed is because of Mabel. Over the winter while Chloe was in heat, I saw no less than seven strays around my house.

In my opinion, if you have a pet, you have a responsibility for that pet. Would you let your two-year-old child run around the neighborhood without any supervision? Then why allow your dog to run around the neighborhood without supervision? Cats are a bit harder to police, unless they're indoor only cats, but at least spay and neuter them so the population doesn't keep rising. In the long run, they'll be healthier and happier.

Oh, and while I step down off the soapbox (I'm getting a bit tired and I think it's high time I go to bed) I just wanted to mention something monumental:

The Green Room is done!!

I have one box and the white cabinet to get out of the living room now, but they're both too heavy for me to carry upstairs myself. Other than that, it's done.

Now, onward. I have the entry room to clean up, the hallway to pick up, and the rest of the stuff in the dining room to put away. If I get all of this done by the time I'm on vacation, I will be very happy, and can spend that week organizing my office as one of my things to do.

Comments

Popular Posts