I wasn't the last person in the world to see Episode 3, but it was close.

I went to see it with Mom, Dad, and Bekah tonight. And what can I say? All the critiques I've read about it were true. (I haven't read that many, so don't start poking holes into my statement, now.)

I've always been ambivalent about prequels. They're not all that fun to write, since you have to work from the past and make sure (almost) everything fits that has already happened in the present/future. Prequels are a bit of a let down in any form, because the story of the past that arises from the present/future stories is always nostalgic and the stuff of legend. Writing what really happened always disappoints. That's probably why I'll never write any more than Binding the Hunt, which is a prequel. So shoot me.

However, I will say this:

I am old enough to have seen the very first Star Wars movie in the theatre. I don't really know if I did--I would have been three, after all--but I know I saw the rest of them in the theatre, and they formed a good piece of my childish imaginings.

I never really wanted a sword for Christmas. I wanted a light saber.

And that should say it all, in truth.

Comments

Popular Posts