Full Circle.

(Mostly mirrored from Plethora.)

I started a story a couple of weeks ago, backstory for a character who appeared in the book I'm writing. It's a story in itself, not just a slice of his life.

His beloved, Celeste, is a weaver, among other things.

Around the same time, I realized that the awkward space in my workroom/studio was the perfect size for a floor loom. And I realized that I'd told myself someday, and I'd put that desire away, and I'd said I didn't have time to weave anymore. And I remembered when I first learned to weave, and how I bought too many looms and how I bought too many supplies, and how I decided to sell Elizabeth, my rug loom, Lisbet my four harness Harrisville, and Ester, my Glimakra table loom, and all of the others, because they weren't the right ones.

The only looms I currently own--that are sitting in my house--are Junior, my 9" rigid heddle loom, one unnamed osage orange tape loom, and a floor-standing inkle loom I'd love to sell (but would have to sell locally since it doesn't come apart easily.) I still have the project loom as well, upstairs in the Project Room.


See, here's the thing. I don't need the gateleg table in the workroom/studio. I have the dining room table, which is well-suited for cutting out large patterns. The gateleg table is just extra storage, if I'm completely truthful. And extra storage isn't necessary in that room. I want it to be a workroom, not a place to stick stuff/supplies, etc. That's why my upstairs studio is no longer usable.

I told myself that I'd set a firm budget (very small) and also spend time looking for the right loom. I would want something large enough without being too large, and also something sturdy enough to weave rugs as well as scarves and dishtowels and whatever I could possibly want. Something smallish and more portable would be nice, too. (Meaning, not huge, like a Glimakra or something like that.)

I would only want four harnesses, period. I'm not interested (still) in the Very Complicated weaving patterns. I did not want a table loom or a table loom with treadle setup, or a Harrisville. While Lisbet was a nice loom, I never felt that she was very sturdy. And while Elizabeth was also a nice loom, she was also really only a rug loom. And while Ester was absolutely gorgeous, I found that I'm not a table loom type of person.

And I didn't want to have to pay for shipping, either. So it had to be relatively local.

I figured it would take the rest of the winter and into spring and maybe summer to find one.

Imagine my surprise when I randomly searched on Craigslist Saturday afternoon and found one--literally--fifteen minutes away from my parents' house in Bethel for my exact budget price.


It had been up on Craigslist for four days already. I figured it was gone. So I emailed the sellers, and they responded while I was at Burlington yesterday. We emailed back and forth, and I went to go see the loom last night.

Not only did I get to meet the wonderful owners, I also found a practically brand-new Swedish-made loom in great condition. The only reason why it didn't come home with me last night was because I didn't think it would fit in my car and it was dark, so I didn't want to haul it outside, and then find it wouldn't fit.

This afternoon, Dad and I picked up a 45" Lillstina four harness/six treadle floor loom. I'm quite pleased with my find. And I'm planning to give myself time to learn to use her, instead of bouncing hither and yon as I go along.

And that awkward space in my workroom will finally have a purpose.

Comments

Grey Walker said…
Oh my, oh my, oh my! Happy birthday to YOU!

Popular Posts