Things I am not that I tried to be:

I'm not a book collector, but I won't stop buying books for cheap that I can resell for more. :) That's in my blood, after all. I've been around antiques and collectibles all my life and that's not going to change. But I'm not a collector in the sense that I pay collector's prices. How's that for a distinction?

I'm not an artist, at least not a drawing and painting artist. If anything, a doll artist, and my canvas is cloth predominantly and polymer clay secondarily. One of my 'things to learn' this year is sketching, though, but that can be a hobby right now.

I'm not a clothes and costume maker, but... I intend to be one. How's that? I do make a mean cloak, for what that's worth. I want to make my own clothes as well, but I have to have the basement cleaned and organized to do that. So that is something I will be, I guess, if everything works out.

I'm not a stamper or a scrapbooker. I found that out only after I spent too much money on stamping supplies. While it was fun, it wasn't very fulfilling, and I don't send out enough cards to make it worthwhile, really. Most of those supplies are already gone, the first victims of the cleaning binge last year. I made about half my money back on them.

I'm not a musician. This one hurts a bit, because I want to be one, but I know I am not. :) For the longest time I thought I wanted to be a harpist, or to play the tin whistle, or something, but in reality, I know I'm never going to give it enough time to succeed. I'm a much better singer than I am a muscian.

Still, one of my 'things to learn' this year is to play my keyboard. I've always been fond of piano music, and I used to take piano lesssons, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm not a vintage clothes collector--really. Most of the vintage clothes I own were bought with wearing them in mind, and with a specific purpose (The Renaissance Festival) in mind as well. Now that I don't have eight people to dress, it seems a little silly to keep stuff that doesn't fit me. So... off it will go. I'm not getting rid of all of it, mind you; and I'll continue buying it when it's the right price, but I definitely don't need a dozen ball gowns. :)

A jewelry maker. This is on my list of 'things to do' in the future, really, but I just don't have the supplies or the time to learn right now. I have so many beads, and they've been sitting in my bead box for a long time, relatively unused. I do simple beaded jewelry and earrings, but not elaborate stuff. So I'm going to go through my beads, and get rid of the ones I won't be using. I don't need twenty pounds of vintage glass beads. I really don't!

A weaver. I got a little lap loom somewhere, and I've toyed with it for a while now, but in ultimate reality, weaving takes far too long for my patience to handle. I much prefer crocheting! So I might get rid of the lap loom, just because I doubt I'll ever really use it again.

A kiddy-craft person. I was, kind of, when I taught Kindergarten Sunday School at my church, but I'm not now. So I can get rid of those supplies as well. Does anyone want six dozen dried up crayola markers? (The idea was to make panpipes out of them. Hey, they work. *g*)

A doll collector. Give me a break. I make dolls. I don't collect them.

Things I am:

A wife, a sister, a daughter. A procrastinator, trying to reform. A disorganized person, trying to become organized.

A writer. Obviously. I shouldn't have to explain that at all. :)

A book lover. That's a good definition of me, I think. But I don't love books for their value, just for what is inside their pages. That doesn't mean I'm going to ignore value. I'm poor, remember? :)

A doll artist. This one started out as a copying thing as well, but I've found my 'voice', so to speak, and it's been fun to experiment. I will continue to make my Urban Faeries, and try for a line of polymer clay ones as well. I might continue to experiment with soft sculpture. Seraphina came out quite nicely, I thought. I want to sell patterns as well, so I need to get going with that.

An amateur digital photographer. I've had no schooling, read no books, but I love to take pictures with my Mavica. One of these days I'll try to sell some of my photographs.

A crocheter, although I want to learn some new stitches. Maybe another thing to learn this year, since I have a nice detailed book now. I also have an afghan I want to finish up. Hmm. Maybe I need to rework that list of resolutions already. (I probably do, now that I think of it.)

A velvet lover. :) Give me velvet anytime. I love the feel of velvet!

My thoughts for now. More later...

Comments

Popular Posts