I'm going to break with tradition here. This blog is my journal, after all, and I've pretty much left out really personal stuff. But I feel I have to document this somewhere, and this is the best place I could think of. So bear with me if all this garbage seems to be a surprise. (grin)

So I got a $4.00 an hour raise. This is a big deal; they changed my position description as well so I could get this raise. It is effective on 4/21, so I won't see it for a couple of weeks, but still! I feel almost rich now. (just kidding!)

So I get home last night, and we had decided on steaks for supper. I took my walk, and garçon stupide wasn't home yet; he stopped at the Council Hall. He said he'd cook, so I didn't bother. I was all happy about my raise, and I figured that I'd spend the evening cleaning in the basement instead of writing (Tuesdays and Thursdays are supposed to be my "Free" nights.) So anyway, around 7:45, Chris gets home and starts cooking. And here's the exchange:

garçon stupide: "You get paid this week, right?"
Me: "Yeah, but it's supposed to be direct deposit. It should show up in the bank after midnight tonight."
garçon stupide: "Will you take out the garbage? I'm tired of looking at it."
Me: "Sure." (When I get back...) "So... I found out how much my raise is."
garçon stupide: "Is it on this check?"
Me: "No. It starts this next pay period, April 21."
garçon stupide: "Mmmm."
Me: "So, do you want to guess how much it is? It's not $2.50 like she said."
garçon stupide: "$1.50?"
Me: "Nope." (grins.)
garçon stupide: "Look, I'm tired. I don't want to play your stupid game."
Me: (frowns at him and holds up four fingers.)
garçon stupide: "Hmm. You're not quitting this job."
Me: "Huh?"
garçon stupide: "You're not quitting this job until you're making more money writing."
Me: "Umm, yeah... that's the whole idea..."
garçon stupide: "Does that mean I can get my motorcycle now?"
Me: "No way! I'm saving this money and using it to pay off the credit cards! And I want to pay for my truck when the lease is up, remember?"
garçon stupide: "Then I'm putting my raise towards a motorcycle."
Me: "You're getting a raise? That's great! I thought you said they didn't have enough money to give you a raise."
garçon stupide: "I've been working in the commercial division for two days. Where do I usually work?"
Me: "Residential..."
garçon stupide: "They laid off a bunch of guys in January in the commercial division, and now they're having the residential guys work in that division, because things are picking up. In a month or two I should be able to ask for a raise."
Me: "I thought you wanted a house? Don't you think it would be smarter to pay off the bills with any extra money and then worry about a motorcycle?"
garçon stupide: "I want the basement cleaned by my birthday. I want to have a workbench down there by then so I can start making stuff."
Me: "Okay..."

(rant)

Gee, thanks, honey, for saying, "Oh, Great! Good job!" Gee, thanks, honey, for congratulating me on my very large raise. I have a day job where I actually feel wanted for once in my life, and I get this astronomical raise, and I have to call my parents to get any sign of "Great job!" and they did wonderfully, btw. I love my parents.

You know, there seems to be a pattern here. When I had my first acceptance, I heard, "Where's the money?" Same for the rest of them. And I didn't even bother to tell him about the promotions job at Writer's-Exchange, because that means I'm in front of the computer... even more.

It's all about the computer now. "You spend too much time in front of that machine." "You're addicted to the computer." "Even my dad thinks you spend too much time in front of the computer."

Well, you know what, if I hadn't been posting 100 auctions a week because garçon stupide thinks I have too much stuff (something I do not disagree with, hence the auctions) and the fact we needed the money, dealing with email from potential bidders, trying to track down information for these auctions, getting yelled at every time I wasn't doing housework, getting kicked out of the house on Easter weekend, trying to juggle the bills so everyone gets paid on time, doing promotional work for WEE and writing, I wouldn't be in front of the computer so much, would I? If someone made me feel welcome in my own home, perhaps I wouldn't "hide" in front of the computer all the time. (Although I sure don't feel like I'm hiding.) I've said it more than once, "THE COMPUTER IS A TOOL I USE TO DO MY JOBS." I do not sit in front of the computer and mindlessly chat. I do not surf without a goal in mind. I do spend a little time each day at Disturbing Auctions Daily, but hey. I need my daily dose of humor! And yes, I consider writing to be a job. Ebay is a chore. (grin) Sometimes I feel like I have three full-time jobs, plus housework and dealing with Mr. Moody. And it is getting on my nerves!!!!

If I mention this to him, he'll find a way to make it my fault, btw. Don't think I haven't tried. Counseling? Yeah. We're probably going to go, but it's up to me to set things up, of course.

I do have too much stuff. I have books that I picked up for some odd reason at library booksales (books I've never read, even!) I have craft books that I've looked at once and never looked at again. I have craft supplies for crafts I no longer do. I have debris, and posting auctions allowed me to make some money from my possessions that I no longer have use for. I was a packrat. And you know what? I'll say it once and I'll say it again, We would have sunk if it hadn't been for ebay when a Certain Person was out of work for three months and we lived on my paycheck and ebay money. If I hadn't had all that stuff to begin with, we would have never survived.

And you know another thing? I have yet to miss something that I've sold. Every single thing (and I swear, sometimes it seems like there has been thousands of things) has been something superfluous, and I haven't missed it yet. And I have a pile down the basement that will eventually join those items in someone else's house!

Argh. Anyway, that's my life. For what it's worth.

(rant off)

In brighter news, I didn't weigh any more when I stepped on the scale this morning, but I didn't weigh any less either. I'm not sure when I'll get to walk tonight (or if I will get to) because we're going out to dinner with a couple from the Council tonight. Of course I was informed of this last night, and everyone should know by now that I detest "Oh, by the ways". But anyway. If we get home at a decent time (before dark) I'll take a walk then. If I don't get to go, I'll walk twice tomorrow. How's them tomatoes?

You know, I'd really like to have one year in which I don't have to buy anything new and expensive, and in which I can save all my extra money and put it in the bank. One year! Why can't a Certain Person understand that? What does he have against savings? Ack. I thought my rant was over. (grin)

So, Day 43 now, and this post is getting awfully long. Tonight's list:

(Laundry is done!!)

1. Work in basement. Keep rearranging craft area until I get it right. I didn't get very far last night, since we ate so late, but I did get the tables moved and cleaned off. If I'm going to try to get the basement cleaned by May 1, then I need to concentrate on it and get it over with! (This, however, doesn't mean have all the auctions posted by May 1, btw. This just means have the basement cleaned, and the auction stuff sorted and organized. But I will start posting auctions again on Sunday.)

2. Write... the prologue is going well. Actually, I'm right up there at the climax, although I might need to add some stuff in beforehand later on. But I really like it so far. It just fits!

3. Write a schedule for Days 42 & 41.

And that's all, folks. I might wait on the schedule until tomorrow, but I might just write it while I'm here at work, too. And I think this post has exceeded its limits, so I'm going to go and actually... work for a change. (grin)

More later, perhaps.

Popular Posts