3am

The rain woke me up first, a pattering of loud drops right outside the window. I slid out of bed to turn off my computer, then slipped back into bed to go back to sleep. But the rain got louder. Thunder, lightning, what sounded like hail, and then the undulating scream of a siren I had never heard before.

Obviously, something was going on and I wasn't going to be able to get back to sleep. Unlike Chris, who could probably sleep through a stampede of elephants and not be bothered. *g*

So I got up, fumbled for my glasses, and staggered downstairs. At first, I went down the basement and tried to find a radio station that had the news, but no one seemed to be broadcasting at 4am. So I went upstairs, turned on the TV, and found out there was a tornado warning. Aha! That explained the weird siren.

Back upstairs. I wake up Chris, who mumbles, "What siren?" I shake my head in amazement, thinking that it's a good thing I lived with escape-artist chinchillas in my room for so long; I'm used to sleeping lightly. So I tell him there's a tornado warning, and there has been a tornado sighted in Pickerington, less than 15 miles away. By the time I get back downstairs, there has been another sighted, less than six miles away.

I gather up my Visor, stick it in my backpack and take it down the basement. At least if the townhouse gets destroyed, I'll have my WIP, I think. I have a book too, just in case. I find a flashlight, and I'm set.

I figure the safest place is the closet under the basement stairs, but I never quite make it there. At 4:45am the warning was called off, because the storm had moved south of us, so at 5am, we went back to bed. I thought about staying up, since I had to get up at 6am, but I decided not to because I was really tired. So I reset my alarm, decided to be late for work, and slept until 6:45. Right now I'm struggling to keep my eyes open, but I think I'll live. *g*

That was my exciting night. How was yours?

Comments

Popular Posts