Life, the Universe... Episode II (Here We Go Again)

Just to set the record straight:

I am getting very sick of this.

I do not have an unlimited amount of patience.

I am quickly nearing my saturation point for stupidity.

***


Why is it that when garçon stupide and I get into a car (or truck, rather) together, he takes that time to point out everything he thinks is wrong with me?

Case in point:

According to my husband, I am addicted to the computer. Not the internet; the computer. I try to explain to him that where does he think we would be without the money I made from ebay and that the computer is a tool that I use to get my various jobs done. He does not buy this. So, let's look up the definition of addiction. According to the American Heritage Dictionary (via dictionary.com):

ad·dic·tion
n.

Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance: a drug used in the treatment of heroin addiction.
An instance of this: a person with multiple chemical addictions.

The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something.
An instance of this: had an addiction for fast cars.


Aha! The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something. Well, this does describe me to a T, doesn't it? I am compulsively and habitually occupied or involved in writing, aren't I? Does that mean I'm addicted to the written word?

Gee, I can see it now: "Hi, my name is Jennifer, and I'm addicted to writing." The druggies would laugh me off the stage.

But you know what? He has a point, a small one. He's wrong; I'm not addicted to the computer. But I will admit that it's a tool I utilize to fuel my addiction--to writing.

But let's look at that definition again. We already know that smokers are addicted to nicotine; are avid golfers addicted to swinging the golf club? What about the people who have to watch a certain show (or shows) on television? Are they addicted?

Hmm. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be addicted to writing.

(More later, perhaps; we're getting ready to leave.)

Popular Posts