I see.

So I left a comment on the blog that attacked my friend. My comment could not be considered in any way a personal attack, but it was deleted. Leaving behind very one-sided comments supporting the author's views. My comment, which said something to the effect of, "If my friend says she didn't write the review, then how come everyone can't take her word for it? I don't understand." (Or something akin to that) could not have been considered a personal attack unless this person is more paranoid than I am.

This really offends me. I'm sorry, but it does.

I really want to believe that this author who attacked my friend is a good person. I really want to believe that she doesn't act this way in real life. This author has been very nice to me. I've swapped emails with her a few times, and she loaned me a book. I've even been looking for her books at the rare times I go book shopping, but I haven't bought any yet. I enjoy her snippets and short stories she posts on her blog and website.

But I can't in good conscience turn the other cheek here. I just can't do it. There are some things you just have to stand up for, and I think this might be one of them.

I have some thinking to do, and a path to decide. I'll let you know of my decision by the time I return from Florida, at the latest. Although I might make my decision before then. Hmm.

----------------------------


A long time ago, I didn't really care what my favorite authors acted like. If they were nice people, or what. And then I wrote and emailed about twenty of my favorite authors, just to see if they would reply. I received replies from Bruce Coville, Jane Yolen, Patricia Wrede, Terry Pratchett, Charles DeLint, Katherine Kurtz, Piers Anthony (remember, this was a while ago, and over quite a few years), and probably one or two others I'm forgetting. Every single one of those authors took the time out to write back to me, cementing their niceness factor in my mind. As the internet expanded, I found more of them, and I interacted with more of them.

And I discovered that a couple of them were not nice at all. One in particular, whose books I rather enjoyed, is on my blacklist for comments he made to me (basically treating me like my husband does when he's irritated; like an idiot or a six year old, much to my fury) and I will not buy any books or read any book by that author ever again. This author dismissed my comments on a discussion as piffle and my respect for him plummented after that.

I don't want to have to do that again. Honestly.

Comments

Popular Posts