I am kicking around the idea of buying a new digital camera for my birthday or either a Christmas present to myself this year. It might end up being next year, but we'll see. I'm kind of doing research.

However, and this is a biggie, I am pretty clueless on what kind of digital camera is a nice mid-(price)range camera nowadays. To give you an idea of what I'm using now, I have a Sony Mavica MVC-FD88, which I bought in 2000 or 2001 for (believe it or not) $1000, and I think is 1.3 megapixels. Practically anything I buy will be better, quality-wise. The nice thing about my camera is that it uses floppy disks, which dates me, but I really like the fact that I can take photos for auctions and suchlike and get them transferred to my computer without much (if any) effort at all.

I am looking to spend under $500. I am hoping that a new camera will last as long as my old camera. (And heck, I can sell my old camera on ebay to offset the cost!)

I do not want to buy one of the slim cameras. I want a camera with some weight. I don't like the tiny ones at all. I like the ones with actual lenses. I also know nothing about photography, but I love taking pictures, and I think I take good pictures with the camera I have. I don't want a SLR or whatever they are called. I don't want something that is going to give me poster-sized photographs. 8 x 10's would be nice.

Here are two I am considering:

This one

This one

I'm actually leaning towards the Panasonic more at the moment, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

And here's another one; a bit lower in MPs than the more expensive Panasonic:

This one

Hmm. This is actually a nice camera, it seems. I'm not sure I need 10.1 megapixels, since I'm doing just fine with 1.3 right now. Hmm. But then again, I don't think the other one is a bad price, either, considering how much I paid for the one I have now.

Comments

Vicki said…
I have a Kodak DX7590. It's about three years old now, so I'm sure there are ones with more MP. It takes great pictures, although it took a bit of getting used to. It has some weight, and an actual lens.
There are numerous accessories that can be bought for it. I finally bought the litter printer that goes with it to print pictures from my camera. I've never had problems as far as transferring pictures. Although, the next one I buy is going to be an SLR.

Popular Posts