Or do I--since the upstairs air conditioner is really worthless, since it's in the hallway and all the cold air falls down the stairs anyway--not replace that one and figure out an alternate way to cool my office down instead that doesn't involve having a dedicated electric line? (And which is probably impossible to do?)

And since odds are the heat wave will have ended soon anyway, and we're not going to be using the air conditioners once the humidity breaks, is it even worth buying one now?

Or just accept the fact that my office is going to be hot anyway, and deal with it until Bekah and Ethan move out, when I will have three extra rooms (not to mention the regular extra rooms) to work with, and I could--conceivably--make the Green Room my studio?

I had been kicking around the idea of making the living room the library, and my computer could go in there, and then making the Green Room a sort of living room, but I'm not sure yet. I'm not even sure I need a real living room. (I don't need a formal dining room either.) Traditionally, at least at my parents' house, the living room is the place one curls up to read a book or a magazine, or watch a movie on TV or relax in front of the fireplace. My fireplace is in the formal dining room, and it's a gas fireplace, so I might as well just burn money, since that's basically what happens when I turn it on. Obviously it doesn't get turned on much.

If I had my druthers, and really I do, since it is my house, I'd eliminate the formal dining room and make that room the library/office. The entry room would stay as it is, with place for both my bikes where Ethan's computer currently goes. It would just be a very big 'mudroom', per se.

That would split up the plug problem in my office, removing the computer and its accessories from the mix and leaving only my sewing machines and maybe a lamp. I think I could probably run a small air conditioner (if needed) and the sewing machine on one plug. I would also end up with more room for my supplies. Not that I need more supplies, of course, but having a whole other wall to spread out a bit on would be nice.

If I had people over, which happens all the time, you know (kidding), my kitchen is really large enough to put the other leaf out on the table and seat about nine or so people. Other tables could be put into use if needed. I could even stick one in the entry room if needed. There's room in a pinch.

That leaves the Green Room and the current Living Room. It would be nice to have my studio downstairs, but then what to do with the other three bedrooms? See, my house is really too big for one person. :P

So I'll probably keep my crafty stuff upstairs.

I could also keep the formal dining room for no reason whatsoever except just because I have the extra room and make the living room into the library/office like I've been thinking, and then use the Green Room as the living room. I could fit an actual couch in the Green Room (there's not enough wallspace in the current living room) and then give Mabel one of the cushions from the papasan couch and sell the rest of it. (I would keep the papasan chair. I like to sit in that.)

That would leave me with my 'studio' upstairs, and I'd have to buy a small window air conditioner, and then I'd have two spare bedrooms in the front of the house. One spare room could be my treasure room (if needed) for auction stuff and stuff I just don't have room for at the moment) and the other could be an actual spare bedroom.

I think what I really need to do is decide what functions I want each room to have, and then go from there. Heat isn't a problem; even my office is comfortable without any heat. The majority of the year isn't a problem. It's just the dregs of summer that makes upstairs not a fun place to be. And in all honesty, I can live with the dregs as long as they don't last forever.

Hmm.

Comments

Popular Posts