Well, Yard Sale Day 1 is over, and boy. I had one cane stolen early on; we're not sure who by, but at least it was one of the $5 canes and not the $20 cane or the $10 cane. Who would steal a cane, anyway? Whoever it was, I hope they need it. I sold two others, so there are three left for sale. (The cane that was stolen cost me $1 at some yard sale or at Burlington, so it's not a big loss, but still. At a yard sale in a churchyard, and they steal something, for you-know-who's sake.)

Otherwise, the weather was absolutely perfect, and I made close to $70 on stuff that I couldn't have sold anywhere else. I'm also running really low on stuff in general, which is both good and bad, since I'm still going back tomorrow. So I'm planning to fill up a couple of boxes (if I can) tonight and replenish a bit.

Jess sold her computer for $75 and made probably $60 just selling clothes. Bekah, who gave me two tiny boxes of clothes, made $13 on them anyway. Even Ethan made about $7, spending most of it on Legos and other toys, but even then. He was thrilled.

There weren't that many people set up--three, when it's usually about ten, but I did manage to score some buys anyway. I came home with two nice large cat carriers for $20 (for both), a chair for $5, a crock dog bowl for $1, and a box full of bailed pint canning jars (I think there are fifteen) for $2. They are really cute, and will be nice to store stuff in.

I have no place at all for the chair, but it's a nice solid wooden chair, probably from the 50s, that had really ugly cushions on it. When I took off the cushions, I realized how nice of a chair it actually was, and I told Mom I would buy it if it was still there at the end of the day, which it was. It sits really low to the ground, too. (Mid-century design, I think.) I'm planning to make it a new cushion and put a quilt on the back. I'm not sure what kind of wood it's made out of.

I had three minor incidents with people--one very early on when a lady asked me the price of the velvet remnants I brought as a last minute addition. I told her $2/each, and she, rather nastily said that she could get the same fabric at WalMart for $1/yard, and I just had to profess my disbelief. The last time I was at WalMart to get fabric, they weren't selling patterned velvet for $1/yard, sorry. I later sold all three pieces for what I was asking for them, thank you, lady.

The second was a lady who hopped out of her car to see the vintage Pyrex casserole I had on my glassware table. I had $10 on it--she kind of laughed and said she had expected it to be 10 cents. Okay, no. Not quite. It's in good condition and it's also collectible. So there.

The third was our first customer of the day--obviously this person thought she was a dealer, because she zeroed in on my walking sticks and asked me how much they were. I told her it depended on which one she was interested in. Whereupon she promptly left. Which was just weird. A real dealer would have then told me which one she was interested in, don't you agree?

I also had one guy who pointed out the (very minor) crack in my $20 walkingstick (it's also very old, hello?) and wanted me to come down. How far I don't know, because I told him $15, which is what I paid for it, and he didn't want to go that high. How low were you figuring, fella?

And what I can't quite figure out is why everyone looks at the bottoms of the walkingsticks. It's weird. Maybe to see if they're split? I can usually tell if they're stable just by picking them up.

I only have two bolts of fabric left (not full bolts, just partials from the auction that I didn't need) and the books sold like wildfire, too. I'm going to bring a bag of clothes with me tomorrow, and maybe some more fabric--I don't know. I really need to bring a table's worth of stuff, just to fill in.

I'm glad things are selling so nicely, though. Hopefully we'll have the same wonderful weather tomorrow (I wore jeans today, and I was only really starting to get warm there at the end) and more customers, too. I would love to clear $100 on this yard sale. That would be very, very nice.

Comments

Popular Posts