So Grey sent me some yogurt culture to make my own yogurt, and I had it sitting out on my baking table overnight (This would be Saturday night) but it didn't work. I think it was too cold. So yesterday, I put it on top of the radiator in the entry room, where my rack I use to hang jewelry on at the craft shows sits and where I put my No-Knead bread dough to rise, and left it there overnight (It wasn't thickened at all when I went to bed.) This morning, I woke up to find yogurt! Sour cream consistency, even, which is thicker than I thought it would be. I have frozen blackberries in the freezer, so I think I'm going to mix it up and have some for a snack in a bit here. I imagine it will taste quite yummy with granola, too. Mmmmm.

And it's a perpetual starter, too; all I have to do is reserve a bit of it and start over again. So it's like sourdough, only not. (Which reminds me; I really need to start a sourdough starter this year and keep up with it.) This will mean I'll be drinking more milk, technically.

I ordered some samples from a cork floor manufacturer--to see if I maybe want to try cork in the kitchen (eventually) instead of the more expensive marmoleum. I'm in no rush; I really just wanted to see the samples, and they were free, so that's even better.

I am making Lavosh and Naan today, and probably normal bread as well. I just wanted to make a flatbread, and found a couple of nice looking recipes on allrecipes.com to try. I also have to make granola for breakfast, and then decide what to eat for lunches this week. I've discovered that I only have to eat one of my burritos to feel full enough--two for the ones I buy at the store--so that's good. A batch of burritos will last longer. And I do have frozen soup from last week and burritos in the freezer, so I might not have to make anything today. (I also have spaghetti with chopped up portabella mushrooms as meatballs, too. YUM.)

Yesterday's supper was a whole chicken that I picked up (on sale) at the grocery store Saturday evening. I opened my bottle of rice wine vinegar (which smells even smoother now--does vinegar age like wine? My wine smells different too) and sprinkled some of it on the chicken, and sprinkled rosemary on top of that. If and when I make rice wine again, I think I'll have to just do an entire batch just for vinegar, and perhaps even bottle it up and give it away as gifts. It makes great vinegar, and I might even have to try it as a salad dressing. Mmmm.

I still haven't ordered my seeds. I would love to get them ordered by the end of this coming weekend. We'll see. I may have to put that on my priority list.

And I got to 14k on Transformation last night, if I remember correctly. I'll write more today, I'm sure. And maybe even hotsync (yes, I'm using my Dana again, more on that later) and post a snippet.

Comments

Unknown said…
The yogurt sounds like fun! (Sourdough is, too--I'm enjoying mine. Though I'm discovering that it's only truly sour if I let it rise a long time, as in no-knead bread.) Where do you order your seeds from?

Popular Posts