Yesterday afternoon, Dad and I took time off our respective works and went to see Sweeney Todd. Whereupon I got back at him for taking me to Chicago the movie, and then casually mentioning as we sat down that "You know this is a musical, right?" (I loved Chicago, incidentally.)

No theater within comfortable driving distance of my house would have gotten it, and from work I am less than 15 minutes away from an expensive theater (with $5 matinées, so it wasn't that bad) so that's the reason I went there instead of the one-screen local theater.

And it was funny. I'm not sure I'll buy it on DVD, or that I even want to see it again, but it wasn't bad. The most hilarious part in the movie is seeing Johnny Depp in full Edward Scissorhands-style role wearing a black and white striped Victorian/Gothic bathing suit. Yes.

I thought the singing voices, with the exception of the girl who played Joanna, were perfectly fine. She was a bit flutey on the high notes, there. Otherwise, a decent piece of entertainment, if you don't mind lots and lots of blood. I can't imagine how it is to see this on stage.

Comments

Vicki said…
*sigh* I guess I'll have to wait till it's out on video. It's probably not something Michael would enjoy.

Popular Posts