Fire and Water is currently up to 13,620 words. I'm obviously aiming for at least 15k tonight. We can only hope.

--------------------

I've been thinking about day jobs and debt. I have some thoughts, but I'm still working through them, so bear with me while I write yet another mini-rant.

A day job is a day job is a day job. Not my passion. Not what I want to do with my life. The part of me who hates change has been in control over the past few weeks, insisting that I like this day job and that I can afford an apartment on my own. Which is true in itself, but...

Tonight, I realized something.

If I move out of here, what's holding me to Columbus? The day job? I can get a secreterial job in Cincinnati paying the same amount of money or more, and live with my parents for a while until I have some things paid off. I started that process earlier this year, when I applied for a civil service job, but I didn't follow through with taking the test (well, it was raining, and... there were over three hundred applicants, I wouldn't have gotten back to Columbus until midnight and I had to work the next day... lame excuses, I know.) This was back before my raise, by the way.

But seriously! What is holding me here? The job itself? It's a fine day job, and I do rather enjoy it, but let's look at the facts:

For staying in Columbus...

1. Seniority, vacation, sick time, familiarity
2. I don't have to apply and interview for another job
3. Barnes & Noble, Easton
4. They like me there, I feel appreciated

Against staying in Columbus...

1. My family is in Bethel
2. The garden
3. Paying my parents rent instead of a landlord
4. I'm back where I'm happiest
5. My family is in Bethel
6. My dad has a high-speed internet connection
7. Burlington Antique Show!!
8. The craft show in November...
9. The garden... you get my drift?
10. Not having to worry if my stuff is safe if I go away for the weekend...

Hmm. This is quite interesting, no? I mean, let's repeat the oft-written question here... "What do I want to do with my life?"
"Support myself by writing full-time."

That, in my mind, has absolutely nothing to do with being able to afford to live on my own with my current salary, does it? After all, I never once intended to retire from this job, did I?

Hmm. I have some things to think about in this vein, I suppose. But I'm just a bit shocked that this didn't occur to me before. Hmm.

More later.

Comments

Popular Posts