Through no fault of my own, but quite a bit of cut-and-pasting, my nonfiction book is now 78k. Eeek!

Okay, I might as well admit it. Here's the premise:

"Revision: Follow one writer's journey through revising and expanding a novel. From the original short story through two distinct drafts, see how the finished product grew in the writer's mind and became a reality. Intersperced with actual text from both versions of the novel and the entire text of the original short story, "Revision" will help both beginning and advanced writers understand the revision process."


Okay, it sounds all high and mighty, but here's what I'm doing. Heart's Desire started out as a short story and went through three versions, technically, and two actual "novel" drafts before I ended up with what I have now. The book has the text of the original short story, the text of my first attempt to expand it, and the entire text of the first novel draft. (I only used about ten actual pages from the first novel draft in the "final" draft anyway, so at least I'll be able to use the material somewhere.)

I will include the first three chapters of the end result as well, just so the readers can see how much the story changed throughout each version.

Depending on how it goes, I'm not sure if I'll try to sell it or not. I think I could; it's unique, at least, and something I would like to read, so I might. I really might as well, since I won't be using the material in any of the other books.

So, what do you think? Would anyone be interested in buying a book like this? I'm sure it would be nice to sell HD somewhere before I publish Revision, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

And so far, I'm rather having fun. :)

Comments

Popular Posts