I realized something last night. It was sort of an epiphany, but nothing I didn't know to begin with.

I'm sitting on almost-finished novels. I'm not sure why; it's not like I'm truly afraid to submit things, but I get the impression I'm waiting for my ship to come in without swimming out to meet it again.

Heart's Desire sits at 76k. To submit to DAW, I need to add at least 4,000 words; a pittance. And I've been sitting on it for over a month.

Why is that?

Well, the last months have been hell, to be blunt, but I can't really give that as an excuse. My excuse was that I didn't know where I would be in the near future, and so didn't want to send something off and then have it vanish into post office limbo later on, but all I have to do to fix that is to send it to Bethel. There were other excuses, too, but none of them really hold much water at all.

So. I'm sitting on a novel. It's actually a good novel (not that the others weren't any good; they were or I would never have sold them) and I think it has a great chance to be my first professional sale.

And yet I'm sitting on it. Hmm.

I've made myself a deal. While I figure out the particulars for Fire and Water, I will bring Heart's Desire up to code, print it out, and send it to DAW.

By the end of July, even. Because after all, if I don't submit, I'm never going to sell a book to a major publisher, am I?

Comments

Popular Posts