Two more long, involved dreams last night. In the first one, I was housesitting for a friend of the family with their youngest daughter. (So I guess I was house/babysitting?) On the last night I was supposed to be there, she invited nine of her teammates to spend the night. (Aside: I've been in this house before, but it's not a house I've been in before in real life, if you get my drift. It has a secret room in the basement.)

Anyway, I had to go somewhere, so I hopped in my car and started to back up, only to realize that there was a little kid (about Ethan's age) standing behind my car. My car's bumper nudged her just enough to knock her down. So I jumped out of the car, picked her up, and looked around for her mother.

Across the street from this house was a rather large apartment complex. It was night, and pitch black, and no one was around except for me and this kid. So I started to carry her across the street and into the apartment complex, intending to find the manager's office and see if they could identify her.

I found the manager's office, and surprise, surprise, he was in. He knew who she was right away, but he didn't know where she lived. He had a general area, though, so I thought I'd just start knocking on doors.

When I left his office, there were people outside, running around. No one paid any attention to me or the kid until this girl with long black hair and red lipstick (she looked kind of hispanic) said, "Hey, isn't that _______?" And then, lo and behold, her mother comes running up (she was a blond with curly hair, wearing one of those peasant tops, and about 100 lbs overweight) and the kid says, "Mama!" I figured that was good enough and handed her over, explaining how I had come to have her in the first place, so they wouldn't think I'd intended to kidnap her or anything.

So then, it was still dark, but there were kids playing in a playground. And I thought about the kids I had staying with me, and I asked them if they'd care to invite them over. And this little girl (who resembled the hispanic girl) said that they could come over and play.

I asked them what they played these days, explaining that I was a bit out of touch with my inner child. They said they didn't play dodgeball much anymore, but softball was in. (They invited me to play too.)

Anyway, I went back to the house and invited the kids over to play with the apartment kids. They weren't very enthusiastic at first. Evidently the girl who lived there had played with them before, and they weren't very nice to her. Or something.

This dream morphed into the other dream...

In which I was a police officer (!!!), on a call to arrest a suspect. Only the suspect turned out to be my stepfather, who was most undoubtedly guilty of the crime. My mother (who was a thin woman with long black hair) begged me not to arrest him. And since the reason why I'd gone into the Police Academy was because of him (details are hazy on the actual reason) I agreed, and fired my gun into the ceiling to summon backup while he escaped.

I was furious with him, because of that unknown reason. And evidently, in this world, people were supposed to report gunshots as soon as they heard them, and the gunshot would summon the police. No one reported my gunshot, so I started calling the neighbors and telling them to call the police, because I had fired my gun at an escaping suspect.

Still, no one reported the gunshot. So eventually, I put on a black hood (?), walked to a nearby diner, and fired my gun into the ceiling, thus getting my phone call. After I fired my gun, I sat down in a booth and waited to be arrested. (Not sure of the logistics here; it made sense in the dream, really.) I was still furious with my stepfather, because now I was probably going to lose my job too.

And then, of course, I woke up. Weird.

In other news...

Started The Eighth Room yesterday. Only got three pages written, but that's mostly because I worked on the cover almost all day. I think it looks wonderful, but we'll see how my publisher likes it. :)

My room's still not clean, but I did get some stuff packed up in a box to take to Storage. And I'm planning to work on it today.

All told, I did two covers from scratch this weekend, which isn't all that bad. And I'm thinking about trying to get more commissions to do cover art, because I really enjoyed doing the two I finished.

Other than that... I got nothing else done.

Comments

Popular Posts