My Dilemma

Or, organizing my office--again.

This seems to crop up frequently, but this time it's going to be a big organizing effort.

Way back in October when I started the stuff for the craft shows, and through December when I finished the Christmas presents, I worked in my office. And after some thought (and after purchasing all that fabric at the rummage sale that I don't have room for in the current configuration), I started thinking about moving some things around.

Case in point: (And these are current pictures, and yes, my office is a mess.)

Here is where my sewing machine table has been set up since I reorganized/cleaned last:



Obviously, I haven't sewn in a while.

As you can see, there's not much natural light at all, and since my office is rather dim anyway, I have to use the lamp all the time, despite the fact that my table is located near a window. Another problem is the bookcase beside my sewing table. Because of the awkward setup, I can't access the last two shelves without really struggling.


The sweaters really don't fit right on the bookcase, and while I love the setup with the fabric above, I really don't care for the sweaters that have been stuck on the shallow-shelved bookcase.

(That's my new yarn in the box. I told myself I couldn't get it out until I cleaned and organized my office. I'm sticking to it, too.)

On the other side of the room, is my pink chair:


Which, as you can see, has been a repository for the homeless fabric since I started going through it. This does not bode well for me being able to sit in my pink chair, needless to say.

Also, I open this window in the summertime. It's a pain to have to climb on the chair to open or close it. And, I think with a chair in front of the window, I lose some of the breeze that would be coming through the window. It does block a lot of the air.


And the spaces beside the chair are repositories for stuff that has no home at the moment, or stuff I want to auction, or just stuff that needs to be PUT AWAY! It doesn't use the space wisely.

So, with those thoughts in mind, I wondered if I could do something about it without making it all look stupid.

I had this idea earlier that I could possibly switch out the white bookcase (the one you can barely see in the second picture) with the bookcase in my room that houses the yarn (I don't really want the yarn in my room if I can help it) but it's not quite big enough, and my thought about using milk crates on top of it to hold up the fabric bookcase that lays across the chest of drawers and the white bookcase hasn't quite worked yet. But I have hope, because I think that would look nice.

So since I'm pretty sure I can manage to make it work eventually, I decided to see how switching the pink chair and my sewing table would look. I mean, if it looked too stupid, I could always switch it back, right?


So I piled up the Piles, and moved the two pieces. Here's the chair, above, and a side view, showing the visible and accesible white bookcase.

Okay, so that doesn't look too bad at all.

Then I worked with my sewing table a bit. I've decided to move the walnut chair on the side to make that space more accessible. I'm still not sure I like it right in front of the window, but it definitely will be easier to open with a table on wheels instead of a heavy chair. The chair that I sit on to sew really goes to my other desk, so that's not going to be cluttering up the space, and I can put the wing down on the table when I'm not sewing.

My other desk can house my buttons, my sewing supplies as well as my craft supplies; that makes sense, after all. My sewing machines that aren't being used can go on the sewing machine shelf, closer to my sewing table, even. I can put the extension cord behind my blue desk and over to the table instead of across the floor as it has been. And once I clean up the Piles, I think it will look nice.

Hmm. This might just work.

I have more to move around, of course, like the bookcases and such, but I think I might have finally found a workable solution to my issues here as I worked on craft stuff this fall and winter. I do still have to find room for the fabric I bought at the rummage sale, but if I do manage to figure out the other bookcase setup, and can hold up the fabric bookcase with milk crates or the like, then I will have a lot of room for the sweaters, and also a lot of room for more fabric on the fabric bookcase. So... we'll see how far I get this weekend. I'll probably work more tomorrow evening, too, but for now I think I'm done for the night.

Comments

Popular Posts