This year (so far) is a perfect example of why I tell people never to put all their eggs in one basket and depend on making money at craft shows--for rent, or for bills, or whatever. It's hard--really hard--to do anything about the weather. Even inside craft shows are subject to the sunny weather theory--people don't go to craft shows when it's nice outside.

The good side? I can continue playing with granny squares, weaving, and what-have-you with no pressure whatsoever.

The even better side? I am saving money every day in November that it's nice outside, because my heating bill will be teeny tiny this month, and I've had $400 November heating bills before. I. Am. So. Not. Complaining.

So anyway, today I sold greeting cards (about a dozen and a half), one book, a pack of dishcloths, a scrubbie or two (I have three left; I really need to make more, or decide if I'm going to make more since they're so annoying), um... and something else I can't remember offhand. I made my table money back, at least, so that's fine. I did not sell a thing at Anderson. Jess and Shannon made about $70 and $100 respectively. Personally, I felt that was low, too. But they said with the vast amount of crafters there--about 100--there were just too many crafters vs. shoppers. And that's one of the reasons why I probably won't ever go to the larger shows.

There is one lady who has been at both craft shows and looked at my scarves both times. Now, I'm willing to go down a bit on the prices of the more expensive ones, but I won't go below $20 each, and I guess she thinks that's too expensive. Oh well.

Extended forecasts for next Saturday (which is the St. George craft show) is cloudy with a high of 58, which sounds very promising. We'll see.

My purchases at the craft show: a cereal bowl from the pottery lady that has cobalt blue glass in the bottom--it's really cool--and two things of goat milk lotion from the goat milk lady who was there.

Comments

Grey Walker said…
Lower than $20 for a scarf? No! For pete's sake, let her go to Goodwill if she's such a skinflint!
Jennifer said…
Especially a *handmade* scarf.

I'm beginning to think I need to write up a little "What it means to buy handmade" pamphlet. *sigh*

Popular Posts