For the past month, I've been pretty much eating a vegetarian menu, due to the fact that I don't have any meat in the house and nothing interesting meat-wise being on sale.

Yesterday, I made meatless chili. Here's the recipe:

Meatless Chili

3 cans kidney beans, drained
1 bottle V-8 (regular)
1 can Progresso Hearty Tomato Soup (or canned tomatoes)
1 pkg. frozen blanched cranberry beans or another type of canned bean
1 can tomato paste
20 baby carrots, chopped fine

The following ingredients are (or more, to taste):

1/4 tsp. cinammon
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. chili powder
About five rosemary leaves
A sprinkling of seasoned salt (the good kind, with chunks of stuff)
A scant shaking of ginger (really, really small amount, less than a pinch)
A shake or two of basil

Combine everything in a pot, stir thoroughly. Taste sauce, increase spices to your taste. Don't overdo the ginger, whatever you do.

Cook on medium heat until carrots are just done and cranberry beans aren't crunchy (about 1 1/2 hours)

This would also work well in a crock pot.

It would also work well to add more beans of different varieties. Good with Skyline chili crackers and shredded mozarella cheese on top. Would also be good as chili and spaghetti. Makes 6-8 servings.

It tasted quite good, if I do say so myself. And I have plenty of leftovers to get me through the week.

Comments

Popular Posts