A Recap and Resolutions and the New Year

I didn't even stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve. Although my sister Jessica did wake me up with a "Happy New Year" phone call at 12:05. In turn, I called my sister Emily to wake her up, but she didn't answer her phone, so my plan backfired. (I'm assuming she was up anyway, in truth.)

2004 was an interesting year for me. It started out quietly, since I was still trying to pay things off and improve my credit so I could buy a house in 2005. Well, my plan kind of went to seed after my Dream House was put on the market, and my buying a house plan was moved up exactly a year.

I didn't get a lot written this year. Nightshade, The Eighth Room, The Secret of Redemption, and unless I'm forgetting something, that's about it. (I haven't checked, but iirc, that's it.) I didn't finish Scarecrows. I didn't revise Nightshade.

But then, I was a bit stressed from the end of August until December, when I finally received the keys to my very own house.

And now, things seem... clearer. I can't say "When" anymore, or "If" or "Maybe." It happened. I'm still moving, but it happened. I bought a house. And unless something really horrible happens, I left my room at my parents' house for the last time. (Barring sleepover visits, of course. But it seems kind of silly to sleep over if I'm only 20 minutes away.)

Moving in was an interesting experience, since the PO (previous owner) left everything... (how do I say this delicately? Damned filthy, in truth!) a bit of a mess. I only took two days off work, so I spent my time wisely by cleaning, and moving things, and getting stuff ready, like my bedroom, so I could spend more time at the house. I moved in officially on Tuesday December 13th.

That first night was a harrowing experience, but after Chloe came, it wasn't so bad. And we braved the blizzard (well...) of '04. (I'm ready for the next extended outage. I bought new batteries today, and now have two working flashlights in the house. The third flashlight, which is the army flashlight I found in the creek when I was just a wee girl, doesn't work for some reason. I will have to investigate.)

Christmas came and passed in a blur. I haven't gone to church in weeks, something no one has mentioned as of yet. (Surprisingly.)

All in all, 2004 wasn't a bad year. It was definitely better than I hoped, personally, even after the disastrous election results.

However, the year had to go out with a bang, and as I lay in bed without power, a tsunami swept through Asia and destroyed everything in its path. I watched three videos today and they were truly horrible.

Resolutions:

I've thought long and hard about these resolutions for this year. Since I've eliminated something quite large off my list, I had to replace it with something just as big.

(It's pouring now. Just started again. Cats and dogs. People were complaining about it when I went to buy a phone and batteries today (the phone was $5, and now I know why. It has a ring that sounds like a demented cricket.) but I commented that this could very well be snow (I'm sure we've gotten over 3 inches by now) and that we'd be buried. That shut them up really quickly.)

So anyway.

Personally, I'm sitting at a moment in my life where I can't really complain. I have a job that pays well, is interesting enough, isn't too demanding, and is only 40 hours a week. I have a house that has room for all my stuff. Including my piano and my organ. The house has a kitchen big enough to wreck kitchen havok anytime I want to, and as Mom pointed out, radiators would make great places to raise dough for bread. (I'm sure I would have thought of this eventually.)

I'm healthy enough. I do need to work on the weight issue, or, more of a concern, the flexibility issue. I'll get to that point in a minute.

My family's not hurting too much. Just the normal growing pains as children grow up and try their wings.

I finally have the luxury of an office--of my own--with space for my craft stuff and story stuff and enough room for everything. So I can sit here and write to my heart's content (or use the Dana and write in bed, per usual.) My books are selling. I seem to be doing something right in the writing department, even though I couldn't promote myself to save my life. (Okay, if it meant my life I probably could, but you know what I mean.)

I've grown rather disillusioned with the idea of pushing yourself and your work onto other people. I have a free novel idea that I will implement as soon as I can format everything (at least two months' time, I'm thinking.) I'm a writer, not a salesperson. My sales pitch is "Here are my books. Here are my stories. Read them, please, and make up your own mind about them."

I've signed up to give a set amount of money to Modest Needs every month. At one point in time, I was seriously considering making a request to them, but I never got up enough courage to post. Now, I don't need to, and I can do my part to help out someone else.

In short, I'm content. Not with everything, but most things. There's always room for improvement in every single way.

And now, yes, I haven't forgotten: The Resolutions.

I don't think I spend too much money, but when I'm bored or nervous or whatever, I do tend to make impulse buys. (They tend to be house-related things, or at least they used to.)

Resolution #1 is to not buy anything I don't really need in 2005.

There are rules for this.

1. If I buy something I want, I have to get rid of something similar.

2. If it’s something to help me organize, I have to use it within one week of purchase, or return it to the store.

3. If I buy it to resell, then I have to post it on ebay or resell it somewhere else within one month of purchase. (I’m giving myself a lag here just in case the item needs to be repaired.)

4. Points will be given for unique ways to utilize what I already have.

5. Points will be taken away for everything I buy that I don’t really need.

6. If something breaks, I’m allowed to buy a new one if I can’t get it at Goodwill.

7. I don’t have to be totally out of something to buy a replacement, but I have to buy it on sale.

8. This includes Christmas next year.

9. Points will be given as to how many things I don’t really need that I can give away, sell, or otherwise remove from my house.

10. If it’s one of those things I just can’t pass up (most likely at Goodwill), then it better be for resale or something I will use in a month.

11. I will not actively solicit more stuff to buy that I don’t really need. This means limiting ebay time for stuff I need, not want.

12. If I buy something I already have because I can't find the item I already have, then I should be shot since my excuse "Well, it's in Storage" will no longer be applicable.

I need a challenge this year. This will be my challenge.

All money saved/made from this effort will be put in my savings account.

If I already have an item and am not using it, I will have to start using it or get rid of it by the end of the year. (I’m thinking of my yoga stuff here…)

And it's only a year. In 2006, I can buy whatever I want. Surely, for most wants, I can wait a year.

Resolution #2: YOGA/PILATES/EXERCISE IN GENERAL.

Do it or get rid of the supplies. This is for flexibility, and I think what I did before helped, since neither my knee nor my back has gone out yet. (knock on wood.) I have to make myself do this, even though I kind of enjoy it. I figure if I make it easier to access (since my prior CD player was on my computer, which I had to turn on and load, etc. before I could do it) I shouldn't have any problems making yoga/exercise/whatever a habit.)

Resolution #3: What I have to be sold on ebay, given away, or sold somewhere else must be out of the house by December 31, 2005.

I don't want to have to move stuff I don't want again. Ever again.

Resolution #4: Make a crazy quilt

I've always wanted to, my excuse that my fabric is in Storage no longer applies, and I have the space. End of story.

Resolution #5: Knit a sweater

I don't need any sweaters, really, but this could be a Christmas present, after all.

Resolution #6: Learn how to cable knit

Resolution #7: Finish Scarecrows

I'm putting this on the list of important resolutions, because dammit, I've been writing the book for over a year, technically.

Resolution #8: Start making Horned Fairy Dolls again.

I missed not doing any last year.

Resolution #9: Remember to be happy with what I have, and necessity is the mother of invention

I have a basement, a house, and a shed full of interesting objects. Use them.

Resolution #10: Attempt to pay off my car at the end of the lease.

I'm not sure this one will be possible, since I have to set aside a little over $10,000 to be able to do this. But I will put it on here anyway, just in case I'm able to make it work by ebay sales, etc.

Resolution #11: Pay off the remaining credit cards, including Dell card.

That brings me just a bit closer of my goal of being debt free. :)

Eleven resolutions. We'll see how they turn out. I'm curious, a bit apprehensive, and definitely looking forward to 2005.

Comments

Popular Posts