I had to completely rewrite a chapter, so I slipped to 37k after I posted last night, and then today, managed to write quite a bit and get back over novel-length. I'm at 40,572 at the moment.

I know that a lot of writers tend to dismiss prologues, but I rather like to both read and write them. I don't mind backstory if it engages my interest. In fact, some of the best memories I possess of certain books are of the prologues.

So at the moment, I'm toying with the idea of having 'books' in this book. The actual prologue prologue is only 1300 words. The next section at the moment is a bit under 10k and takes places 64 years after the prologue. The next section takes place 10 years after that and will be the rest of the book.

I am thinking that the section I'm writing now will only have maybe one more chapter, so it will be a bit short. But I might make it Part 1 or something. I haven't decided yet.

I had been toying with the idea of inserting the 'past' chapters between the 'present' chapters, but I wasn't sure how well that would mesh. I do remember reading a couple of books like that (Judith Tarr, I think) and I ended up liking the past story better and flipping ahead to read what happened. So I don't know what I'll end up doing.

If I do a past/present thing, I'll definitely have to continue the 'past' story beyond where I'm planning to stop at the moment. So we'll see what happens there.

Any thoughts? Does this even make sense?

Comments

Popular Posts