There are definite signs of spring outside. The crocuses are blooming quite nicely, although it seems I have more crocuses than I remember having. The striped ones aren't blooming yet, but they're just about to.

Today, after the cats somehow tore out half of the curtain rod hardware in the kitchen, I decided that Something Had to be Done. See, they like sitting on the kneeler below the window to watch the birds (and the birds just now figured out that I had filled the birdfeeder, too) and I don't mind them sitting there to watch them. However, they tend to try to go after the birdies and squirrels, something which I'd rather they not even try.

My kitchen has windows in front of the sink and a window on the other side of the room. The window on the other side is the one in question (it's over by the fridge) and it's one of those crank out windows (two cranks, one for the top and one for the bottom.) We only ever open the top when the weather is nice, so I took out the bottom interior screen a long time ago, because it looked nasty. (The top one doesn't look nice either, but when we have the window open, we kind of need a screen.)

I wouldn't have a curtain, but we have crazy (and nosy) neighbors, and I really don't want them looking through my back window, especially after dark.

So I decided that I would go through my stash of old curtains and see what I had. I've done this before without any luck, but I figured I might have missed something. You never know.

And surprisingly, just when I thought I would have to make something suitable, I found this:

It was way too long, so I pinned it up (I hate destroying perfectly good vintage fabric just to make them fit correctly, so at least it can be reused if needed) but you can hardly tell. And I can keep it out of harm's way (claws!) by hooking it over the top crank, which should keep it out of the cats' way.

Eventually, of course, this wall will be finished and it will look a lot better. :)

Comments

Popular Posts