This morning:













(Note: That is not my red barn. I like it, though.)


In 1997 when I worked at the library, it snowed 12 inches overnight. The library was still open the next day (although we opened late) so I got in my car around 9:30am to drive the 15 miles to work.

It took me an hour and a half to get to work that day. When I pulled up at 11:00am, the parking lot was a pristine expanse of snow. It had not been plowed.

Not quite knowing what to do, I inched down the road, turned around, and ended up parking in the post office's parking lot a block or so away and walking back to the library. Then I had to slog through a foot of snow, struggle to get the door open, and field calls for the next hour until the branch manager managed to get there.

After that debacle, I decided that under no circumstances was I ever going to do that again. I had vacation time and sick time--I could have easily called in. But instead, I put my life on the line only to find out that the parking lot had not even been plowed. It just wasn't worth the time and effort--not to mention the possibility of having an accident.

I didn't call in today, but I called in for this morning. I'm not going to be at work tomorrow (we have an all-day meeting) so I really should be there some time today to get urgent stuff done. I'm waiting until they plow our road, and then I will let my car warm up and head off to work.

While it was tempting just not to have to go out at all today, and I probably would have called in a vacation day if we were going to be there tomorrow, at least I had plenty of time to get ready this morning. :)

Comments

Popular Posts