Since we're supposed to get a major snowstorm tonight/tomorrow morning and it's quite nice outside at the moment, I decided to take advantage of the weather and pull up/trim all the dead stuff off my plants outside in the various beds and gardens.

The basil trees did not want to come out of the ground, but I won, eventually, and filled up the wheelbarrow with stuff, which got dumped on the compost pile in the backyard.

It looks like my Coral Bells are coming back, and my Dianthus never died, so they're growing again. My sweet peas area already three inches high. I think they will spread quite a bit this year.

If anyone needs any lemon balm, let me know, because I have a patch about 18" in diameter in the main garden. And mint as well--I'm going to have a lot of Mountain Mint this year.

It looks like Lemon Thyme is not hardy, because I couldn't find any sign of it in the main garden. However, the other thymes I planted in between the stepping stones are in great shape. My rosemary is dead. And the apple mint in the main garden doesn't look like it made it either. But the sorrel is already sprouting, I uncovered sprouting yarrow, and my rue bush never did die. (The other one died earlier in the fall.) My sedum groundcover on the other side of the tree stump is spreading already, too. Which will be nice when it blooms. (It's supposed to be yellow.)

There is no sign of the hardy hibiscuses yet, but I don't expect them to start sprouting for a little while yet. I do have some hibiscus seeds that I need to sow this year, so maybe I will be able to realize my dream of a hardy hibiscus hedge. :)

I have made a couple decisions, garden-wise. Since I already have perrenials in the main garden, I will continue with that theme (but probably end up with some vegetables there too) and I am thinking about planting my viney stuff where the lettuce will go once there's no chance of frost. I wasn't all that fond of the tomatoes over there, even though they grew quite nicely.

I'm planning to buy a tiller this year, and till the real main garden, which will be out front and in between the lilacs, the spruce tree, and the forsynthia. Of course, that means I really need to order my seeds. Soon!! (I might have a roundish garden out front. We'll see, but the space would do best as a roundish square, perhaps.)

I have also decided to begin planting wildflowers and such in front of the porch. That's where most of the spring flower bulbs are, and so I can intersperce with them and have some perrenials and sunflowers (which will be planted every year, just because they looked so nice last year) there. And then the birds can eat the sunflowers overwinter, like they did this year.

I will have bulbs and irises to move this fall. Hopefully I will be able to remember to do it this time, because last year I got caught up in other stuff and just didn't do it.

And I need to weed, too. Argh!

Comments

Popular Posts