Okay, so since I have a million gazillion hours of sick time and since my ears did not pop at all while going down the hill into Batavia and then back up the hill to Eastgate, I decided I might as well go to the doctor's before I lose my hearing entirely.

This was partly decided after lying in bed last night with my "good" ear on my pillow, and realizing I couldn't hear my clock ticking. It's rather loud. That scared me a bit, there.

So I went to the doctor, who nodded when I explained what was going on with my head. He poked his speculum (Isn't that what they're called?) in my right ear and said, "Oh, that is nasty!" I laughed a little and said "That's my good ear." He said "Oh really?" and then when he looked at my left ear, said, "I see what you mean."

So it turns out I was right in my online research, that my Eustachian tubes are swollen shut, trapping fluid inside. Joy. And look! More information.

So I have amoxicillan (sp?) to take, as well as Flonase for the swelling. He also told me taking a decongestant is a good idea, so I'm taking that as well. (And also he told me that decongestants raise your blood pressure. Mine was high. It isn't usually--Dad has a blood pressure monitor thingy. So that explained that.)

And I told Bekah that she needed to make an appointment, too, because this type of thing doesn't go away on its own.

Joy.

So after a bit of a screw-up at the pharmacy (CVS no longer accepts our insurance, but Jubilee does, so I went there (and I had an old card, too) I got the amoxicillan to take and I'll pick up the Flonase tomorrow.

I hate taking medicine, but damn it, I want my ears to be back to normal.

I did ask him if it was possible to catch ear infections, since Ethan just had one, and he said it was possible, but not very common. So who knows where it came from? All I want is for it to be gone.

Comments

Popular Posts