A Thought or Two about Orange Juice.

We drink quite a bit of orange juice. At least a gallon a week, which is quite a bit for two people, I think. I tend to buy whatever's on sale, except for the store brand, because none of the store brands I've seen have pulp and to me, it's not really orange juice without pulp.

Of the three major brands available at our local Krogers--Minute Maid, Tropicana, and Florida Natural--I'm going to have to say I prefer Tropicana, but Florida Natural is a close second. Florida Natural tastes the closest to fresh squeezed, but Tropicana has a thicker feel. I know that sounds weird, but that's all I can say. Also, I've found that Florida Natural doesn't have as much acid in it. Sometimes when I drink Tropicana, it irritates my mouth. That never happens with Florida Natural.

Last week, we had Tropicana. And thenChris found Minute Maid on sale, so he bought some, and I remembered why I don't like it at all. Minute Maid orange juice tastes like it should be carbonated. I'm not quite sure what it is, but there's this taste... and I can't stand it. But if it's the only thing in the house, I will drink it. I need that daily dose of calcium since I don't usually drink milk or eat many dairy products.

Just in case any bigwigs from Krogers is reading this, if you'd put pulp in your orange juice, I'd buy it and try it, but pulpless orange juice reminds me too much of instant tea. And me being such a tea snob, I hope you know what I mean. :)

So anyway, this little departure from the usual doesn't really have a point, of course, but I just thought I'd make my preferences known. Down with Minute Maid!

Am I missing something, or does Pepsi or Coca-Cola own both Tropicana and Minute Maid? Or are they competing? Hmm. I'll have to check that out.

Now, off to fold some laundry, and write a bit. Still waiting for Chris to get home, but he should be home soon.

----------------------

Oh, yeah. Update on the weather situation here...

I saw that a largish branch had snapped on a tree right at the end of our parking lot. This is not a surprise, as this particular tree seems to lose a branch every other time it gets windy. I'm surprised it has any branches left. While it was 70+ earlier, the temperature has dropped quite a bit (I think Walgreens said it was 45 when I went out.) When I came home, though, it felt awfully hot in the house, so I opened the upstairs windows. Now it's quite nice in here. I like it kind of cool at night; I like to use my covers. :)

I did go to Krogers. I looked through the ads for this week, decided to stick to a budget of $40, and ended up spending $42. That's pretty good. According to our budget, I spent less than 1/2 the week's worth of grocery money, and I got everything we needed plus some. I might go back next Saturday and buy milk because it's on sale, and maybe more yogurt. But I still maintain that to spend $400 a month on groceries, we'd have to be sticking to non-sale items and buying expensive brands. This $42 trip to the grocery stocked us up for the week plus some. I bought boneless skinless chicken breast, salami and bologna because it was buy one get two free (I have enough of that in the freezer to last a month now, at least.) Kroger brand yogurt, because it was 10/$5.00, and I'm paying $1.10 at the cafeteria when I get it at work, apples (of course), a cantelope, Hamburger Helper and Chicken Helper (Buy one get one free!) bread, milk, lettuce, mini carrots, bacon, and some other stuff.

We seem to go through at least five pounds of apples a week, I kid you not. I pack Chris one a day and I pack myself three a day--one for my midmorning snack, one to eat with lunch, and one for my afternoon snack, when I remember. Of course sometimes I have yogurt instead, but most of the time I eat the apples. Luckily, apples are relatively cheap. I can't wait until Dad's apples are ready so I can stock up and won't have to buy any for months. :)

Okay, so this once small little departure on orange juice has now morphed into something else and I have laundry to fold and writing to do. And I've read almost the entire Hamish MacBeth mystery series (by M.C. Beaton) today, so I really have to do something else.

Signing off now, or I'll start prattling again. Sheesh.

Comments

Popular Posts