Does Blogger accept animated gifs to upload for pictures? I'm about to find out...

Okay, the blogger photo thingy seems to not be working. Or else I broke it. So I guess I'll have to resort to ftp...

Um. It's no wonder that didn't work--the file's 4.09 MB. Oops!

I do not want to have to upload 18 pictures. Argh!

(The smaller version is 1.02 MB, and that's still too big for Blogger. *sigh* That's what I get for trying to make 18 pictures into an animation sequence. :)

Okay, then. Here is the link for the animation. It's still big, so if you have dial-up, it might take a while to load: Fleurs

FLEUR DIRECTIONS (By request)

Cut a circle out of something. It doesn't matter what, it all depends on how big you want your eventual flower to be. I used the lid of my tiny button jar (the buttons are tiny, not the jar) for the bigger flowers. I drew the small circle by hand, but it's crooked, so I'd probably use a pill bottle or something in hindsight. (Or maybe something a little larger than a pill bottle. A vitamin bottle lid, perhaps.)

Cut out two circles and sew them together wrong side out. I've been using my sewing machine, since doing circles is great practise, but you can also sew them by hand.

I sew all the way around and then cut a small hole in the middle so I can turn it right side out. I learned to make nice curves this way for the arms and legs of my dolls and bears.

Stuff the circle lightly, because you'll want enough movement to be able to pull the stitches tight to form the flower petals.

Sew the back hole together. It doesn't really matter if it looks pretty; I'm a messy seam sewer and it's the back anyway.

I've been using the same needle full of thread for everything. It just seems to work better that way. But you can either cut the thread now or keep going, either way.

Push the needle from the back to the front, right in the middle of your flower. Then loop the thread to make the petals (see pictures of finished flowers for examples) around the back and push the needle through from the back again, pulling the thread tightly as you go. Basically, once you have one petal done, you can pretty much go on from there and do all five. Just try to space them out properly, or you'll end up (as I did) with one big petal and four smaller ones.

I've been using upholstery thread. The original I read said embroidery thread. I guess it's whatever you have on hand. (Kevlar thread, ya know?)

Once you have five petals, pulled tight, then insert your needle in the middle again from the front to the back this time. This helps make the place where the button middle will go.

Then knot off your thread, but if you have enough, don't cut it.

Find your buttons, and choose a good one for the middle of your flower. I thought the blue button looked nice on my example. Push the needle from the back to the front again, and sew on the button. Then knot your thread again, and you have a nice flower!

You can then sew on a pin back, or whatever you want to do with it.

Comments

Popular Posts