Something happened to the phone lines and cellular towers this morning. You could call local on your landline, but the cell phones were down and no one could call long distance. (I just hooked up to the internet for the first time today.)

No one seemed to know what was going on, other than that it might be down all day, or at least 8-10 hours (but no one knew anything about when that 8-10 hours actually started.)

While standing in line at CVS and wondering if my credit card would work (because it was affecting those as well, and the pharmacy couldn't call to verify prescriptions either) I realized that this is how it would feel if the world was ending.

Well, I'm sure there would be mass panic in the streets and such, but I think in the initial bit, there would just be confusion, and irritation as we tried to figure out exactly what was wrong.

If no one could call long distance (and long distance is 15 minutes away) if no one could access the internet, if the TV stations weren't showing any pertinent news... Out here on the edge of civilization (as most people who live near 275 would attest) we would have no idea what was going on.

And then the aliens would land, and--

Okay, I don't write science fiction for a reason. :)

Anyway, all is well now, my credit card did work, although the lady in front of me tried three different cards to no avail, and I'm hooked back up with the rest of the world. Whew!

I did get a bit written while down, but I have been playing with the Benjamin Moore Color Viewer again--check out House St. Clair for pics.

Comments

Popular Posts