Okay, so I decided to raid my scrap box and I had fun this afternoon. At the moment, my favorite one is the big pink one. (I decided to make big and little ones. So far. And by big, as you can see, they're not all that much bigger. Still able to be pins-sized.)

The little bitty yellow one didn't really work; it ended up with six petals for some reason. But I kept it in the flower bowl anyway.

What can I do with these? I mean, I think they'd look cute on hats and as pins, and maybe even on a choker. I thought that maybe I could sew some together for a bracelet, but I'm not sure anyone would want to wear a bunch of fabric flowers on their wrist.

And then, after Dad came over, I thought--wait a second, I bet I can crochet these too!

So I did, just now. This one has a vintage jet button as the middle, so of course it's a Black Eyed Susan. :)

Hey--they would make great magnets, wouldn't they?!

So I looked high and low for yellow thread for this one, and the only thing I could find was Kevlar beading thread. So this one I guess I could say is bullet-proof. *grin*

Anyway, they are awfully fun to make.

But that's not all I did this evening! I really need to order my seeds, so I started looking online for what I wanted to order. I haven't done any ordering yet, but I have decided what I want to plant tree and bush-wise (I'm going for edible landscaping, of course.)

Obviously, since I don't have a million dollar budget (Okay, it would be more like $300, maybe) I am not planning on buying everything this year. But I think I'll buy at least two of the interesting and unusual fruits on my list, and then two more next year, and then two more the next year, etc., etc.

Luckily, I have plenty of room.

This year, I'm leaning towards the elderberry trees and the goumi. I have decided that the elderberry trees are going to go on the west side of the house planted on either side of the air conditioner. When they get tall enough, they will shade that window (one of our main problems in the summertime) and also give the air conditioner a break from the direct sunlight. Since they don't spread, but will be tall enough--but not too tall--that should work.

I do have to check with my Dad and see if it would be a problem to have them growing pretty close to the house, though.

The Goumi is something I'm just enchanted with--I really like how it sounds and it sounds like the fruit will taste good too. Since cherries are hard to grow around here, this could be a good substitute.

(Other things on my list include Quince, Currants, Aronia, and a couple of apple trees (Mutsu and one other that I don't remember deciding on yet.)

I have also decided that this year I will invest in a tiller. I have a recommendation from a coworker, so I will be shopping soon enough because I have finally decided to put my main garden in the nice flat spot in the front yard (yes, the front yard) and I have all sorts of good ideas for the space. (I will be using the freecycled picket fencing as trellises for gourds and squash.)

So. That's what I've been doing today. :)

Comments

Popular Posts