I put up three teepees for the squash to climb tonight--maybe just maybe that will slow down their mad rush to cover their part of the garden in leaves and vines. Maybe. I'm not holding my breath. If I have to, I will build a bit of a fence around the sweet potatoes and the Jenny Lind melons, since they are the only ones threatened by their monstrosity. (so far, at least.)

Actually, that's probably not a bad idea. I have all those metal poles that I bought at the yard sale, and hmm. I could really build a sort of fence and string string in between. It might make it a bit difficult to walk through it all, but since they are winter squash, it's not like I'll need to be getting in there for much, except to kill bugs and squish eggs, etc.

Note to self for next year: How about two of each variety instead of three? I'm already thinking I will be well, squashed with squash.

I also dug up another potato plant that was on its way out, and then found a huge potato under another plant. I have maybe eight (?) plants left (I'm guessing) and then the new potatoes are already coming up. No sign of the carrots in the garden yet, but I did pull up a rather large one (longer than my thumb and twice as thick!) today.

And I've been picking handfuls of beans all week long. I almost have two quarts bags now. I'm going to do the One Local Summer meal this week with beans and potatoes, I think. And garlic. Mmm.

Tomorrow's cleaning schedule is thus:

--Kitchen
--Bedroom
--Start in Office

I want to get the kitchen done first thing, and if I get hot, I can shut my bedroom door, close my window, and turn on my air conditioner to clean my bedroom. And I have to do something in my office before I start in the entry room (with all the sewing stuff I bought at the auction weeks ago still sitting there waiting for a space), so I really should start in there at least.

If I can get the kitchen and my bedroom done tomorrow, then I will work on my office and the entry room on Saturday. So we'll see what I end up getting done.

Comments

Popular Posts