Full Moon is currently 38,129 words long. Wow! I have gotten a lot written this week! And it is going well, so far.

Here is a snippet, just for you:

As soon as Gene stepped into Sennet's kitchen, some bit of tension leaked out if his bearing. He stood for a moment, holding onto the countertop, then sighed. "There's a recipe I've been wanting to try--"

"Tell me what you need and I'll get it for you," Ceidrin said. He glanced at Dierin, who hovered in the doorway. "Sit down. Would you like a cup of tea?"

"I feel like I'm imposing," Dierin whispered, and Ceidrin thought he saw tears in her eyes.

"You aren't." Ceidrin said, but in truth, she was. Gene's point of anchor was the kitchen. Whenever they argued,he cooked, sometimes fantastical creations that Ceidrin had always managed to eat. He should have warned Sennet that Gene would need to cook. Ceidrin could only hope that Sennet's pantry would survive the onslaught. He smiled at Dierin. "Do you cook?"

"I can help," Dierin said. "I used to have a garden--"

"She can chop the vegetables, to spare your fingers," Gene said. "You can make pancakes. No one can mess up pancakes."

Ceidrin wasn't sure if he trusted Dierin with a knife, but he didn't want to shatter Gene's newfound calmness with a reminder of his captivity.

"I burn pancakes," he said, "but I'm willing to try."

Gene turned around. "Don't burn them this time," he said, almost begging.

Ceidrin glanced at Dierin, who was watching all of this with a stricken look on her face. He took a deep breath. If that was all Gene needed, then surely he could manage not to burn something once. It could be a fluke that would never happen again.

"I'll do my best," he said, which was as close to a promise as he could get.

Gene nodded. "Then I'll need flour, and eggs, and oil, and water--some green peppers, too. And mushrooms. Garlic, onions--a good knife--" He hesitated. "Sennet will be back soon. And she's bringing someone with her. Two someones. And a dog."

Ceidrin's heart leaped. Who had she found? "Then we'd best prepare," he said. "Dierin, are you okay with chopping the vegetables?"

"I'm fine," she said, clearly mystified by this turn of events. "How did--How do you know?"

Gene took a moment to reply. "The same way I knew Ceidrin would rescue me," he said softly, and opened the nearest drawer. He emerged with two knives in his hand, one of which he gave to Dierin, the other which he kept. "Eggs first, I think."

"Let's make breakfast," Ceidrin said, and opened Sennet's fridge.

copyright 2008 Jennifer St. Clair

Comments

Popular Posts