I had one of my frozen burritos tonight for supper to try out the filling. Now, I'll post a caveat here: I don't like very spicy burritos. I tend to get the mildest ones I can, and I made my filling to match my tastes. Even so, it was quite yummy.

My burrito filling:

--A variety of beans, cooked and mashed (this took forever. I soaked them overnight, and then cooked them for quite a long time until they were mashable. I'm sure there's a better way to do it; I just usually use beans for soup. I think there were kidney beans, cranberry beans, and one or two garbanzo beans in this selection. I used my little 3 qt. pot that I bought from Macy's with my gift card, and let me tell you, that little pot is becoming one of my favorite things to cook with.)

--Jasmine rice, cooked and mixed with the mashed beans. (Rice cooker!)

--Chopped up green peppers. (From the garden! I have lots of frozen peppers to use. They taste great, even frozen.)

--Chopped up slow-roasted tomatoes, which were roasted with garlic powder, basil, and thyme, I think. (Again, frozen from the garden. I am definitely doing this again next year.)

Mix everything up, and add more seasonings to your taste. (Ideas--chopped garlic, chilies, whatever you want!)

--Lacey Swiss Cheese (or any other yummy cheese, of course) goes on top, and wrap up the burrito and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees F. They do freeze well. I reheated it in a 350 degree F oven for about 10 minutes, but they should microwave just fine too.



We went to Sam's today, and I came back with teabags, more angel hair spaghetti, a big bag of chocolate chips, freezer bags for when I make spaghetti sauce sometime soon, spaghetti sauce to tide me over until then, portabella mushrooms until I have more shiitake mushrooms to eat (although I don't think they'll last that long), another 12 lb. bag of baking soda (I ran out!), and probably something else I'm missing. I really didn't get much at all. We also went to Goodwill and the Salvation Army store--I found a small neat looking ornament at Goodwill for $2 and a stainless steel teapot at the Salvation Army store for $4. The teapot is larger than my other stainless steel teapot, and will give me a spare so I can actually clean the one I use every day because it's looking a bit sad on the outside, but since I use it all the time, it's never empty enough to clean. So now I have a back-up.

I'm pretty tired at the moment, though, so I'm probably going to head to bed early.

Comments

Popular Posts