I had to go get Mabel some food today at the Feed Store, so I picked the cats up some Christmas presents while I was there (Mabel's are already in her stocking.) I got them a ball that lights up when you tap it, a catnip mouse with a really long tail, and some crinkle balls. (As if they need any more balls!) Joy, one of the Feed Store kittens, helped pick them out. She was most interested in the light-up ball.

(The other Feed Store cat is named Almond. *grin* It actually took a while for me to figure that out. I must have been half asleep the day I met them. Anyway, Almond & Joy were nestled in their cat tree when I arrived, so I petted them and Joy demanded to be picked up and carried around the store. I complied, of course.)

When I got home, I put up the cats' stockings (As of now, there are four cat stockings; I ran out of room. So someone has to share with someone else; the horror!) and made the light-up ball go off. The cats were very interested. Misty tried to get the catnip mouse out of her stocking, and I filled the others with my homemade cat toys, including the mice that were leftover from the craft show.

Twenty minutes later, I walked past the stairs to find Pooh sitting on the stairs batting the stocking that held the light-up ball. It would go off, he would wait for it to stop, and then he would bat it again.

I think this might be the Toy of the year, here. I imagine Ethan will like it too. :)

Dishes are done. Completely. Now I will try to wrestle my clothing piles into shape.

(Oh, and the soup was yummy! I was impressed. I would definitely make it again.)

Here is the recipe:

Lentil & Brown Rice Soup

5 cups of water (for a more tomato-ey broth, use tomato juice)
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 cup of dried brown rice
1 qt. frozen chopped up tomatoes, thawed, or 2-3 cans of chopped, canned tomatoes
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup chopped carrots (I actually used frozen peas & carrots)
2 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
A dash or two of dried rosemary
A dash of seasoned salt
A dash of pepper
A small dollop of olive oil (Oh, if you really want a measurement, about a teaspoon.)

Combine all ingredients in a 4qt or larger pot. Stir well, cook over medium heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils and rice are tender and carrots are just done, about 30-45 minutes. Goes well with garlic breadsticks. Serves 4-6, depending on your serving size.

Comments

Popular Posts