So anyway...

Christmas Eve night, I couldn't get to sleep. I kept coughing all night long, until I finally drifted off around 1:30am. At 3am, I was awakened by a strange sound--it sounded like someone moaning.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. (like that.)

It got louder, then softer, and then vanished all together, but I was wide awake by then, so I walked downstairs to make sure someone hadn't hit a dog (or something) on the road. I looked out every door and window, except for the west side of the house for some reason. Then, because I figured I might as well, I decided to go to the bathroom.

No sooner had I sat down than I heard someone muttering outside. It sounded like it was right outside my bathroom window, and it was a man's voice, just muttering, not any words that I could make out. I freaked, switched out the light as quick as I could, and tiptoed to the Green Room window, since I can't really see out the bathroom window (it's frosted.)

At first, I didn't see a thing, but then I noticed a movement at the back of the house on the corner, where a very old lady lives (at least as far as I know.) There was a guy rocking back and forth against the back of her house with his arms pressed over his stomach.

My first thought was that he had been hurt. My second thought was that he had been shot. My third thought was that he was drunk. Since my 83-year-old neighbor's yard butts up to this yard, and since I was 99.999999% sure this guy did not belong there, I called 911.

The police responded quickly, but the guy moved between the two houses as soon as he saw the headlights. I even had a visit from one of the officers (just as one of the cats went to the bathroom, of course) to show him where I'd seen the guy last. The guy wasn't walking very good, so I didn't think he could get far, and I did see the officers put someone in the back of the one car, but they didn't call me back or anything, and I ended up going back to bed around 3:30am. I didn't sleep very well.

Needless to say, I wasn't very awake on Christmas Day. :)

However, after asking for "lots and lots of underwear", I managed to score twelve pairs (this is a good thing!) and a bunch of other cool stuff. Ethan enjoyed his frogs, of course, and his other gifts, and Mom and Dad liked the throw I made. I think everyone liked their gifts from me. Even the weird-o rain boots I got Bekah and Jess were relative hits.

I got a really neat old wooden jointed bear, two walkingsticks, a clay teapot in a frame, some t-shirts, the "Careful, or you'll end up in my novel" t-shirt, and the usual amounts of shower gel. I asked for and received lightbulbs (Okay, I had a hard time thinking of things to put on my list this year, and anyway, I'd rather get my fluorescent bulbs as gifts vs. having to buy them myself), sweatpants to wear to bed, and a set of flannel sheets. It was a nice, slow day. I even took a nap.

However, I've been tired all week long, probably due to that one night. I've been taking Nyquil all week long too, which probably doesn't help, but I'm going to try to go without it tomorrow night. There's only so much of that taste I can bear for one cold.

I am feeling better, though, which is good, because I have some resolutions to revise and post and implement, and a house to clean this weekend. More thoughts about organizing things later, I think, since this post is already long.

Hope everyone else had a good holiday if you celebrated!

Comments

Popular Posts