So yesterday, Eastgate was nutso, and after not being able to turn left from the office for ten minutes, I turned right instead and drove to Beechmont to get home, figuring that if all of the shoppers were in Eastgate, Beechmont should be fairly light, traffic-wise.

I was right, and since I was making decent enough time and I didn't have to be home to let Miss Mabel out (Bekah was already home), I stopped at Goodwill.

I only got two sweaters for fabric, and a box of Singer sewing machine attachments, and a quiche pan (Pfaltzgraff), and a wooden cat. Not so bad, really. And I was second in line at the checkout, which was cool.

The lady in front of my was 73 (or so she told the cashier when asked if she got the senior discount), and she had two carts. One full of clothes and one full of something else. Her husband (I assume) was with her, and he was loading up one cart while she was unloading the other one.

I was standing right behind her cart with my armload of stuff when she dropped a sweater. I moved in to grab it for her, but she beat me to it by shoving her cart backwards--at me. (There is no way she couldn't have seen me standing there.) Luckily for me, I didn't get hit.

A minute or two passed, and she's chatting with the cashier and settling her bill. I don't really mind, since it's not at all busy and I'm not in a big hurry. But she starts moving away, leaving her cart blocking the checkout, so I asked (nicely), "Is this your cart?"

She nodded at me and said yes, and she moved towards it a bit, so I assumed she intended to take it with her. But then, as soon as the last bag was in the other cart, she walked off with her husband, leaving her empty cart behind.

Now. What kind of an idiot just goes off and leaves their cart blocking the aisle? Just blatantly?

I glared at their retreating backs and pushed the cart forward. Then I had to push it again to get past it when I left. Would it have been so difficult to return it to the cart corral that they passed on the way out?!

That's just rude, I'm sorry. I can't see someone doing that in a grocery store or any other store. Leaving it at the end of the checkout counter, maybe; that wouldn't have been so bad. But just leaving it there to block the next person in line? That's plain rudeness and nothing more.

Today, leaving Eastgate was an interesting experience. I drove down a packed Eastgate Boulevard--packed meaning that everyone was either trying to get to the mall or 32, which was a parking lot. No one seemed to be trying to get out of the mess except for me and a handful of cars. It was a really strange feeling to pass backed up cars for a mile--almost to the light at the end of the road I go down--and see even more cars attempting to get past the congestion.

Honestly, even if they were giving away stuff at the mall, you wouldn't catch me there tonight. I had to pick up Ethan's pictures at the mall this morning--the appointment was at 3pm but I called them and went around 10am. At that time, I had no trouble getting in and out. But after lunch, the parking lot exploded with cars.

I know I read that more people were waiting until the very last minute to shop, but give me a break, people! The traffic was not even close to being this bad last year at this time. What gives?

Comments

Popular Posts