What I found at Burlington, even though it rained (and one bonus picture of a teapot.)


Four (probably hand carved) wooden spoons.

Three are oak, one is probably tiger maple. All are usable.
Total cost: $5


One Revereware copper teapot.
It does have a slow leak on the spout, which is probably fixable.
Cost: $10
(I have been looking for one of these all year long. It was worth $10 to see if it leaked or not.)
It has some water scale, so right now it's on the stove with a vinegar/water mixture inside of it.


One pastry rolling pin, $10.
This has an especially nice patina.


A stool that fits my Union #36 loom perfectly.
I didn't want to pay full price for an actual loom bench; they are rather expensive.
So I've been looking for a stool or chair the correct height.
Most loom benches are between 23"-25"; this stool is exactly 24" and exactly correct.
All for a cost of $15.
(Please don't mind the dusty floor.)


A green enamelware teapot.
(From the Florence Antique Mall, for $12.99)



And a lovely woven wool blanket, $15.



And the gratuitous teapot shot; this is the polka dotted teapot I found at Lawrenceburg.
I guess I am collecting enamelware teapots now; I have three of them. At least they have pretty colors!



I also bought a teapot and another wool blanket for Christmas presents, so I'm not going to post those pictures here. The other teapot was $5; the wool blanket was $10. I also bought a vintage costume--a flamenco costume or Southern Belle, perhaps; red velvet and black satin. It's a nice costume. If I can get it put together on my dressmaker's form, I will take a picture. It was $5, though; and you can't buy the fabric for that price.

But the best find of the day (other than the loom stool, which I'm very excited about) was from the Florence Antique Mall. See, my favorite walkingstick/cane is made of Diamond Willow* and marked "Co. 1775". I have been told it is probably a centennial cane (so purpotedly from 1875.) I have never once seen another one at Burlington (they do pop up on ebay here and there, but none like mine.) Anyway, I saw one at Burlington! It wasn't as old as mine, but the seller had $130 on it, which is way too much. I asked her if she knew about Diamond Willow, she said no, and I explained what it actually was. And I walked away, because it wasn't worth $130.

Since we left Burlington early due to the two and a half hour long "shower", Dad and I decided to stop at the Florence Antique Mall, since we hadn't been there yet this year. So we stopped, and I found the green enamelware teapot (see picture above) and a lovely old Diamond Willow walkingstick--for $12.50! I couldn't believe it. I will have to take pictures of both walkingsticks and post them here to show you. The one I linked to is similar to the one at Burlington.



*Diamond Willow is actually a fungus that occurs in willow trees to make the characteristic diamond shapes. This one here has good pictures of the diamonds, but my canes have the diamonds carved out, and I can't find any on ebay (without slogging through the listings to see if someone doesn't know what they have.)

Comments

Grey Walker said…
Wow! What a score!
Jennifer said…
Surprisingly, you can still find bargains. :)

I forgot to add that I also found another olive green army blanket too. And a small decorative flowerpot.

Popular Posts