The Perils of Organic Food

The Asian pears were good this year. I don't usually like them at all, but this year they were yummy. So I got Dad to pick some for me before I left Sunday, and I brought one to work to eat with lunch today. (I had leftover sweet and sour chicken from last night, and that's what I'll have for supper again tonight, like as not.)

So there I was, sitting in my comfy chair, reading the rest of HD and nibbling on my pear, when I glanced down at the fruit in my hand.

There was a brown spot. Inside the pear. Not a bruise, but a hole. A hole.

I stopped chewing. I stared at the hole. Worms I can handle; I'm used to them by now, since Dad's orchard is organic and unsprayed. But this was a nice pear. This was the nicest one in the bunch. Unblemished. Smooth. Beautiful.

And it had a hole. An empty hole.

I started to feel a bit sick to my stomach. Yes, i'm used to worms, but I've never ever eaten one. I usually pay attention to what I'm chewing. Honest.

I took a quick drink of tea, just in case there were any worm bits stuck in my teeth. Swished it around my mouth. Stared at the hole for another long minute.

And finally saw something move inside of it. Ah. I don't care what they say... relief is when you find a whole worm in your pear instead of a half worm or no worm at all.

Comments

Popular Posts