Last night, I got home to find that Mom and Dad were there. Mom was washing the rest of Ethan's play food, and Dad had stopped by on his way home from a meeting. We went out to dinner, and then Dad hung the primitive-style pine shelf (an antique in its own right) so I could display my teapots somewhere.

I ended up just displaying the decorative ones, since the plainer ones didn't really fit on the shelf. But that's ok. (And they're not strictly decorative, either; I don't buy stuff I can't use.) I also made one of the shelves a tea shelf so I could display my tea tin collection.

A long time ago, I decided that I had to have structure in my collections. (Other than cobalt blue, that is.) So I decided that since I drank tea pretty much exclusively, I would collect teapots and tea tins and tea-related things, just as long as they weren't cutesy. Most of my collection consists of interesting tea tins and Japanese-style teapots from various eras. Oh, and that's when the rule came into being that it all had to be useable.

All of my typewriters are useable, for example. And I write, so therefore I collect typewriters and pens. See how it works?

But there has to be a limit somewhere, and that's why I don't buy much on ebay that will end up in a collection. I mean, at any given time, I could find no less than 20 teapots I'd like to have. I have to pick and choose--and everything has to be the right price.

(I like to take walks, so I collect walkingsticks/canes. Only interesting ones, mind you. I like to garden, so I collect botanical prints and plants. It could get out of hand quickly, but it doesn't.)

Anyway, so now I have a teapot shelf and a tea shelf. The bottom shelf will be used for pasta, because some of the jars I intend to use for pasta/rice/etc. don't fit in my cabinets. And there are hooks on the bottom of the shelves that I'm hanging things on until we figure out what will go underneath. (I would die if I found a butcher block table (an old one, of course) for a reasonable price at an auction or fleamarket somewhere.)

Mom reported that Zoey was quite nice to Pooh while she was there yesterday. But when I went upstairs to check my email and Zoey jumped in my lap, she chased Pooh out of the room when he ventured in to see what was going on. I'm not quite sure why, unless she's claimed my office for her own. Or perhaps she'd let down her guard and he frightened her.

*evil grin* Mabel's coming tomorrow afternoon. Fur will fly then, I'm sure.

Oh, and now we know the porch roof needs to be replaced ASAP, because the leak in the dining room started dripping last night. Since the wind and rain were coming from the south, the water was being pushed right through the seam in the roof, and dripping down through the ceiling. (We already knew this was going to be a problem, btw.) Since my pine tree needed water anyway, I just moved it underneath the leak and wiped up the floor. (It doesn't leak, however, in normal rain because the water doesn't get underneath the seam when the wind is coming from the north, east, or west. Or whatever direction it usually comes from.)

So, the dropped ceiling in the dining room is coming down. Because I really want to see what's going on up there, and I hate the dropped ceilings anyway, and now we have an excuse to take it down! Yay!

Um, well. Not really yay, because I'm going to have to repair the ceiling, but I'm sure you get my drift.

However, all the other evidences of old leaks are still evidences of old leaks. So that is good, my inspectors were correct, and according to my uncle, the roof cost something akin to $15,000 to put on.

Comments

Popular Posts