I started my sweet potatoes in February, and my little sweet potato starts were going strong, so I decided to carefully break them free and put them in separate jars of water.

This is why I have a box full of odd glassware that has no real purpose, other than to root things. :)

So I have 18 starts in water, and my sweet potatoes are sprouting 18 (so far) more to come. That makes three dozen--I only planted six the first year and five last year, but my sister Emily is going to take some starts for her half of Mom and Dad's garden. And if there are any left outside of that (I'm thinking about planting a dozen this year, after all), then I can always sell them or give them away. Or plant them; when do you ever have too many sweet potatoes?

The nice thing about this is that the original sweet potato starts cost me $1.50 (they were $3/dozen) and I've started my own from my old potatoes since then. Not a bad investment at all!

Comments

Popular Posts