Burlington was today. It's beautiful outside--actually kind of cold, in fact, so I figured that there would be a good crowd. Well, the crowd didn't show up until it got warmer, the sissies. However, I sold a lot more than I did in June, when we were dying from the heat, and I bought a lot less.

In fact, all I bought for myself were a few cookbooks and a noodle cutter. The cookbooks include Colonial Kitchen Herbs: Garden and Kitchen Secrets from Early America by Ferne Shelton, Uncle John's Original Bread Book by John Rahn Braue, Adventures in SanFrancisco: Sourdough Cooking & Baking by Charles D. Wilford (this one is really cool since I have sourdough to play with now), The Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown, The Shaker Cookbook: Not by Bread Alone by Caroline B. Piercy, and my very own copy of the Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome cookbook by Apicius. The noodle cutter is metal, and old, but in good enough shape to use, which is nice. Total amount was right around $30 for everything. Not too bad.

I also bought two walkingstick yardsticks for my coworker who wanted me to look out for more of them (I bought her one last time, too.) She will be happy.

I sold my zither (which I almost didn't bring because I forgot it was upstairs in the ebay room), a pair of old high-topped shoes (like granny shoes, but they aren't high-button shoes), one quilt, all but two of the canes I brought with me (surprisingly!), and the concertina, newly restored (I sold that for $40, so I quadrupled my money on it. Name a stock you can buy that will do that. Heh.) (I decided that learning how to play the violin and the guitar was enough for now.)

I also brought, but did not sell, Ebay fiddle #2. If someone would have offered me a decent amount for it, I probably would have sold it, because I really have enough right now (although there was a nice one there; obviously well-played, that I thought about but did not buy--the seller had $115 on it, with a useable old bow and the case. However, the two times I was looking at the violin, they never said one word to me. That's not good customer service, in my opinion, but that's a rant for a different post.) and I really need to concentrate on the ones I have--and like.

So, all together, it was a profitable day. I didn't actually lose money on anything, although some of what I bought had been in my possession for a long, long time (the zither, for one.)

Next month, we're thinking about taking two of Dad's minivans so we can each load one up. Since I have at least one bed, a couple of chairs, and maybe a spinning wheel, that would be a good thing.

Comments

JamiJo said…
if ebay fiddle #2 is the one with the fancy inlaid back, i'm interested! up for a visitor sometime before the end of August? :)
JamiJo said…
if ebay fiddle #2 is the one with the fancy inlaid back, i'm interested! up for a visitor sometime before the end of August? :)
Grey Walker said…
Good on you!

Have you ever considered doing this sort of thing for a living? Do you love it enough? Because you sure are good at it. :)
Jennifer said…
Jami, I'll email you. Yes, it's that one!

Grey, I would love to do that full time, maybe someday! It's a thought. :)

Popular Posts