Great. Obviously this year is going to be the musical instrument year*.

Today, Dad and I went to a very muddy Lawrenceburg Antique Show. Whereupon, the first thing I bought was not a musical instrument, but a very cute Chinese or Japanese teapot (I know they are called something specific; they are made out of reddish clay that isn't terra cotta) for $5. This one is cute and probably not old, but I really love the style.

The second thing I found was an old ocarina--a very large ocarina--for $20. It's marked, but as with every one I've ever seen or owned, I can't make out the markings. But it's huge; much larger than the ones I used to have.

The third thing I bought was an 18" Irish bodhran--for $20. (See what I mean about the first line of this post (and the last one?) It's in really nice condition, has a great sound, and is absolutely something I don't need. But I couldn't pass it up for $20.

The fourth thing I bought was, well, a student violin in a really nice case for $46. In truth, the case alone is worth that price. The violin seems to be better than my blue violin (at least so far; the G string is actually not dull, so that's a good thing. I'm halfway through tuning it (stopped to write this post, actually.)

The fifth thing? Another teapot. But this one is enamelware, and blue, and has white polka dots. I am not usually a polka dot person, but it's cute. And I saw one on ebay not that long ago, but I can't seem to find it now. It was a whopping $6.

And that was it (not that it wasn't enough at that point; I went overbudget a bit, but not too much.)

I counted tonettes today--five--and guitars--nine, I think. There were no weaving items in the entire place, which was probably a good thing. And two violins--one an unmarked oldie in relatively good shape (although beaten up a bit) that they wanted $85 for (which was too high, imo) and the one I bought.

And then I came home and picked two zucchini--I now have three zucchini and one yellow squash in reserve, so I'd better get cracking.




*or the year I start my own Irish band in my music room.

Comments

Popular Posts